Recomendations for a new 3D Printer

Paul Macey

Jul 27, 2015, 12:00:20 PM7/27/15
to SoutHACKton
Hi All,

I got into 3D printing fairly early on, I got a RapMan from bits from bytes. The printer is getting a bit old now, its discontinued along with the software. I have heard/hope that current generation printers are much more reliable and fail on prints much less often. So I am considering upgrading and buying a new printer in order to save time and frustration trying to tune up my old printer to just about get prints working.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	rapman.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	6117

What printers do you guys have and what printers would you recommend?

Roughly speaking I'm looking for 50-100micron layer hight, ABS printing. Build size minimum of 150mm cube (but ideally bigger). Also I live in the UK if that makes any difference.

I've done a bit of research, but there is such a vast selection and massive range of prices that actually finding which ones I might want out of 100s is a bit daunting. Form my research so far these seam to be cropping up as.
  • MakerGear M2
  • FlashForge Creator Pro
  • UltiMaker 2
  • Lulzbot
  • Zortrax M200
  • Spiderbot
  • XYZprinting Da Vinci 2.0 - price looks good but have read prints are bad

Paul

Bracken Dawson

Aug 2, 2015, 10:39:06 PM8/2/15
to south...@googlegroups.com

Holy Darwin, didn't know anyone still had one of those in service.

Recommendations from me would depend more on a talk about budget and what you print, but i3 kits form Greg with the E3D extruder would be the logical modern equivalent of what you have.

I recommend dropping by one of the 3D printing user group meetings at So Make It. I think the next one would be in September, but keep an eye on the calendar.