Air stagnation

Mark Taratoot

Nov 16, 2022, 7:22:48 PM11/16/22
to south corvallis google groups, north-s...@googlegroups.com
We are currently experiencing an air stagnation event in the Willamette Valley. This isn't too uncommon. It happens when the atmosphere is inverted.  Low pressure in the valley floor is trapped by high pressure farther up in the atmosphere.  This condition traps pollutants at ground level.

Many people use wood for heat.  It's a renewable resource, and it's economical.  However, it also creates pollution.  Wood smoke creates particulate pollution.  Short-term health effects of particulate pollution includes cardiovascular effects like arrhythmias, heart attacks, asthma attacks and bronchitis.  Long-term health effects include lung cancer and other forms of heart and lung disease.

When we experience air stagnation and atmospheric inversions, if you have another way to heat your home, please consider doing so.  Your neighbors will appreciate it, and it may save their life.  If you MUST run a wood stove, do so responsibly.  Only burn dry, seasoned wood.  Run your stove HOT so it doesn't make smoke.  Do not damp down an older stove.  Better yet, get a modern stove that minimizes particulate pollution.  If your stove uses a catalyst, be sure to replace it when it is time.  Even with a modern stove, you must manage your burning to reduce  health impacts to your neighbors.

You can find some good information about wood heating and health risks at the Lane Regional Air Pollution Agency website at www.lrapa.org

josiah fisher

Nov 16, 2022, 8:09:20 PM11/16/22
to Mark Taratoot, north-s...@googlegroups.com, south corvallis google groups
Thank you Mark!
Lots of folks don’t realize how much smoke they are producing, especially if they load the stove and don’t bring it up to high heat before then damping it down.
Josiah

mark willhoit

Nov 16, 2022, 11:35:32 PM11/16/22
to Mark Taratoot, south corvallis google groups, north-southtown
It is good to remember that if you are heating with natural gas or electricity they are not clean fuels. You are just putting your pollution in somebody else's backyard.
       Most of our electricity is generated by coal fired or gas-fired generators. Some is produced by hydroelectric which is causing the extinction of our salmon runs. Much of the natural gas involves fracking.
      They have now realized that people with gas cook stoves in their houses have large amounts of air pollution in their house because of their cook stoves and are recommending that you get rid of them.
       And when you think that buying an electric car is going to solve all our problems do some research on the environmental impacts of manufacturing lithium batteries.
         There are no Simple Solutions there is no free lunch

Howie Opatowsky

Nov 16, 2022, 11:37:34 PM11/16/22
to mark willhoit, Mark Taratoot, south corvallis google groups, north-southtown
As with any claim, kindly city your sources...

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "South Corvallis" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/south-corvallis/CAAEjs%2BRxqG9%2Bz9XO6iCwTp05zonwqZGEJd%2BwWkC7bMb6NHdQTA%40mail.gmail.com.

Andy Gray

Nov 16, 2022, 11:58:43 PM11/16/22
to south-c...@googlegroups.com

48% of Oregon's electricity comes from fossil fuels: https://www.oregon.gov/energy/energy-oregon/Pages/Electricity-Mix-in-Oregon.aspx

For Pacific Power, it's 69%: https://www.pacificpower.net/content/dam/pcorp/documents/en/pacificpower/rates-regulation/oregon/tariffs/OR_LabelingInsert_LrgBiz.pdf

As the Secretary General of the UN said last week: “We are on a highway to climate hell with our foot still on the accelerator.”

Howie O

Nov 17, 2022, 12:00:50 AM11/17/22
to Andy Gray, south south corvallis
And this claim:  "They have now realized that people with gas cook stoves in their houses have large amounts of air pollution in their house because of their cook stoves and are recommending that you get rid of them."

George Brown

Nov 17, 2022, 12:33:29 AM11/17/22
to Howie, Andy Gray, south south corvallis

George Brown

Nov 17, 2022, 12:35:27 AM11/17/22
to Howie, Andy Gray, south south corvallis
And here's another that I haven't read yet about OSU working on a new type of rechargeable battery: https://www.opb.org/article/2022/11/11/oregon-state-university-plans-to-develop-a-battery-that-would-not-rely-on-rare-minerals/

mark willhoit

Nov 17, 2022, 10:45:36 AM11/17/22
to south south corvallis

mark willhoit

Nov 17, 2022, 10:50:26 AM11/17/22
to south south corvallis
Nov 17, 2022, 11:28:56 AM11/17/22
to mark willhoit, south corvallis google groups, north-southtown

It is true that heating a home with natural gas adds carbon dioxide to the atmosphere, and carbon dioxide is a cause of climate change.  It is also true that some electricity production also contributes carbon.  So does burning wood.  Some people feel using wood is better as the carbon in the wood came from the atmosphere through photosynthesis.  It does still put carbon in the atmosphere.

My request wasn’t about emitting greenhouse gasses.  It was about releasing particulate pollution during an atmospheric inversion.  A poorly managed wood stove emits far more particulate pollution than a well-managed one.  It also generates other toxic pollutants that can be held near the ground during an inversion.  When the atmosphere is stable and smoke can rise it poses less of a risk.  It still releases toxins, but they aren’t held close to the ground.  Even when we aren’t experiencing an inversion, it’s a good idea to run your wood stove properly and if you have an older stove consider upgrading to a modern wood stove that is certified by EPA.  The EPA provides some other guidance about wood stoves and the health effects of burning wood.

If you heat your house with electricity, it is possible that electricity was generated with fossil fuels.  It is also possible it was generated by clean fuel.  Now that the coal plant at Boardman has closed, I wonder what our current mix is.  Even with a fossil fuel plant like natural gas or coal, there are emission controls on the stack.  That’s not true for people who use wood to heat their homes.  I suspect if all users of wood heat had to get an air quality permit from the DEQ, there would be a lot fewer wood stoves.  It is also true that hydroelectric generation imperils salmon.  Wind turbines have their liabilities too.  Even nuclear energy has liabilities.  If/when we figure out how to develop fusion power, there may yet be unexpected consequences.  I hope we are able to find out.

My plea was for people who choose to heat their homes with wood to consider an alternative source when there is an atmospheric inversion and to manage their stoves to minimize particulate pollution even when there isn’t an inversion.

To just write it off because there are also impacts of using natural gas or electric heat is spurious.  By that logic, we should go back to using leaded gasoline and get rid of emission controls on automobiles because internal combustion engines still give off pollutants.

The risks of using natural gas for cooking aren't relevant to this request.  I am curious how many people in the Willamette Valley are using wood burning cook stoves. I bet not many.  My plea was about home heating during and specifically during an inversion when air stagnates near the ground.

Thank you.

James Bombardier

Nov 17, 2022, 11:29:12 AM11/17/22
to willho...@gmail.com, south south corvallis
Lots of good information here but it lacks my perspective that the underlying issue we need to tackle are the societal incentives we live by.  Currently in the West, private and not public profit is the driving narrative for our society that effects all decisions that are made, supposedly in the interests of our larger society.  We all know that is not the case but we nuance the heck out of all the rest of our forms of social organization but the money thing.
I posit that the role of government should also include all aspects of finance, because that government, supposedly represents all the people, and not just the few that currently control global finance.....and the politicians they have bought.
I am the guy with the I Support Public Banking sign linking to publicbankinginstitute.org in my front yard and believe our species is in a civilization war about this very issue with the China/Russia axis (RoW - Rest of World)
I studied the future with a cultural anthropologist and did state level public policy planning 50 years ago and have been watching our world become more financial focused since 1971 when money stopped being linked to gold.

James

Torsten Pihl

Nov 17, 2022, 12:10:13 PM11/17/22
to south corvallis google groups, north-southtown
Even before the pandemic, I'd wear a mask on inversion days to reduce breathing toxic wood smoke.

Regarding electric heating, anecdotally my heat pump has been running 24X7 for the last few weeks, and my electric bill was only $34 (was double in years past, and that's not adjusting for inflation). As more and more renewables come online, "moving the pollution elsewhere" becomes more and more moot.

Thor/Torsten

James Bombardier

Nov 17, 2022, 12:21:32 PM11/17/22
to James Bombardier, south south corvallis
Mark Taratoot is correct in his contextualization of the Air stagnation issue and wood burning which is a reality in world and represents a direct form of conversion for heat.  The subsequent comments didn't put Mark's comment within a context of energy sources and usage which I fault on profit instead of public good propaganda focus.
Einstein said something to the effect the electricity is an inefficient way to boil water (cook food).  Maybe society needs to provide both gas and electricity to houses and design them appropriately so that each energy source is used most efficiently.  Heat pumps are not totally sufficient at our current temperatures and additional heat must be provided by another source, which most efficient currently is gas.....why are we forced into an either/or equation?

IMO, we are not acting as a society but as consumers of what offered without question anymore.  Between 1949-1986 the US had a Fairness Doctrine that required "both sides" context to public media coverage.  Why did that form of public regulation go away?

Watching our current world spin makes me motivated to speak out...thanks for reading
James

Torsten Pihl

Nov 17, 2022, 12:33:16 PM11/17/22
to jhbomb...@comcast.net, south south corvallis
Even before the pandemic, I'd wear a mask on inversion days to reduce breathing toxic wood smoke.

Regarding electric heating, it is indeed inefficient for resistance heating (heating coils), but there are far more efficient ways of using electricity to heat. My heat pump has been running 24X7 for the last few weeks, and my electric bill was only $34 (was double in years past with an older less efficient model, and that's not adjusting for inflation). Heat pumps can be used for water heating too. They simply grab the heat that's in the outside air and put it to use inside (and in the summer, reverse the process to cool inside). And as more and more renewables come online, "moving the pollution elsewhere" becomes more and more moot.

Thor/Torsten

Tracy

Nov 27, 2022, 2:33:06 PM11/27/22
to South Corvallis
This is a very interesting and respectful conversation. Thank you! I have a question. Lots of our neighbors heat with wood, we can see the smoke from their chimneys and it does feel like it's very smoky at ground level on certain days. We don't have a wood stove, so I don't understand what they are doing that is producing so much smoke. I read at the beginning of this thread that it has to do with what temperature the stove is before a "damping" down. What does this mean? What is the smoky and non-smoky way to operate a woodstove and is there a reason why people aren't doing it correctly? Does it save on wood or make the heat last longer? Please excuse my ignorance of the proper language.

Thank you, neighbors. Tracy

Andy Gray

Nov 27, 2022, 2:57:29 PM11/27/22
to south-c...@googlegroups.com

I heated with wood for years and used to build wood-burning stoves. The number 1 cause of smokey fires is wet (or damp) wood, which is also inefficient because you're using energy to boil water instead of heat the house. High-efficiency (airtight) stoves make a big difference too; open fire places or fireplace doors are not very effective at heating a house. Their main impact of an open fireplace is the sensation of heat provided by the light from the open flame hitting your skin; most of the hot air is just going up the chimney.

The other thing is how you operate the wood-burning stove. When adding a new load of wood, or starting the fire, you want to crank it up to a roaring flame with a lot of air--the hot flame will burn off more of the volatile gases that are emitted early in the combustion of a log. Once the log is burning well, you can shut the air down ("damping" down) to keep the wood burning efficiently and keep the heat in the stove box as long as possible so that it can heat the stove and the room. That's why it's better to do large loads at a time rather than add a little bit at a time. If people damp the fire down too much (perhaps hoping to keep the fire going all night), it will just become a smoker again from lack of air. I doubt such a fire is providing much heat overnight; it would probably be best to let the fire burn out at a decent burn rate.

Most wood burning pollution can be attributed to how people burn.

Andy

Mark Taratoot

Nov 29, 2022, 1:23:49 PM11/29/22
to south-c...@googlegroups.com, Tracy, and...@zoho.com
Hi Tracy,

Andy pretty much got it.

  • Dry wood smokes less under all circumstances, and of course as he mentioned some of the energy from burning is used to vaporize off the moisture if the wood isn't already dry.
  • Getting the stove HOT will do a better job of burning.
  • If you buy a new stove, it must be an EPA certified stove.  Some have catalysts that help reduce particulate smoke and other toxic substances.  The catalysts have to be replaced from time to time.  There are also non-catalytic models that use other design features to move the hot exhaust around and get a full burn.
  • If you have an older non-certified stove, you must replace it if you ever sell the property.  This is true of a stove in your house or in your shop or barn.
  • You ~CAN~ get an older non-certified stove to burn cleaner, but you have to make a point of it.  That said, you can also get a certified stove to smoke too much.
  • Modern wood stoves don't need dampers.  Older stoves used them to reduce the amount of air leaving the fire.  Damping down the firebox can let the wood start to smolder at which point it smokes a lot.

One of the "problems" with wood heat is that it can be.... HOT.  If it gets too hot, you can open a window to let some heat out.  Damping down an older stove to keep it from being too hot in the house can smoke out your neighborhood and hurt your neighbors.