Development

mark willhoit

Feb 20, 2023, 3:14:17 PM2/20/23
to south south corvallis, north-southtown
Years ago I was under the impression that no development paid for its entire economic impact on the community Through systems development charges and other fees. The surrounding community got to make it up through increased taxes and fees. I have no links that I can cite because back when I heard this we didn't have links it was probably in the newspaper.
             Mark w

Kate Rendich

Feb 20, 2023, 7:09:49 PM2/20/23
to south south corvallis, north-southtown, mark willhoit

Thanks for the response Mark.
As I said in my earlier email...my property tax dollar increase went to resurface the neighborhood streets up on Barley Hill. None for our pitted and ancient streets here.
I just hope that some plans, any plans, have been made to deal with the increased number of individuals and families that will soon join us here in South Corvallis. With only one way in/out of town for an additional 300+ vehicles this will certainly be a traffic issue.
And, yet another accident of some sort again today at Co-op Hwy crosswalk, backing up traffic and requiring 3 police vehicles and a ambulance.

Hope all is ok there.
Kate

On Monday, February 20, 2023 at 12:14:19 PM PST, mark willhoit <willho...@gmail.com> wrote:

Years ago I was under the impression that no development paid for its entire economic impact on the community Through systems development charges and other fees. The surrounding community got to make it up through increased taxes and fees. I have no links that I can cite because back when I heard this we didn't have links it was probably in the newspaper.
             Mark w

Andy Gray

Feb 20, 2023, 11:22:27 PM2/20/23
to south-c...@googlegroups.com

This is true in many jurisdictions. Much less so, or not at all, in Corvallis. We tack on "system development charges" (I believe that's what they're called) which is intended to cover most of not all of the road, sewer, and other infrastructure construction. So current residents do not end up subsidizing new development through increased taxes (though Corvallisians are pretty good at taxing themselves for a variety of services). These charges make new homes more expensive than they would be otherwise, for example, in towns without high development charges.