Linux server for 1.3.7

Zak Claassen

Jul 17, 2023, 10:36:40 AM7/17/23
to soundrtschat
Hi,
Is there a binary to run a linux server for the latest version of the game?

Julian Dreykorn

Jul 17, 2023, 4:55:49 PM7/17/23
to soundr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zak,
there isn't a real binary, and there never was. To run the latest
server on Linux, the procedure I'd go looks like this:
You git cloen the repo, and then use the command
python3 -m venv env
to create a virtual environment in folder env, that's the convention.
Activate it by sourcing env/bin/activate, install the packages from
requirements.txt using pip, and then just do a Python3 server.py.
What is, however, still missing, is a Docker image for the server. For
running it stable and environment-independent, I consider this as
important.
Best regards, Julian

Am Mo., 17. Juli 2023 um 16:36 Uhr schrieb Zak Claassen
<zak.cl...@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
> Is there a binary to run a linux server for the latest version of the game?

Zak Claassen

Jul 17, 2023, 6:31:32 PM7/17/23
to soundr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
For some reason I thought there was one in the past, but I might be
wrong. I modified the setup.py to create one.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/soundrtschat/CAKJ5SfrkiVH0noPkZDkxTN0vhf0F7FSTs6Byu7Urky1ciZaq5g%40mail.gmail.com.

Julian Dreykorn

Jul 18, 2023, 7:06:03 AM7/18/23
to soundr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
nice to hear that you managed to build a binary for it. Anyway, I have
to say that I don't really get the point in doing so. I mean Python is
a scripting language, it always requires the Python interpreter to
execute it. It is either packaged directly with the binary, or shipped
together with it. In either way, I don't see the advantage when
compared to directly running it using the locally-installed Python.
But sure there may be usecases I'm not aware of, that was just a
side-note.
Best regards, Julian

Am Di., 18. Juli 2023 um 00:31 Uhr schrieb Zak Claassen