OSX: If your Library Drive gets it’s mount point changed, and Nothing Links Anymore…

Jeremiah Moore

Mar 3, 2017, 6:15:29 PM3/3/17
to Soundminer Users Collective
Happened to me today, no files would be seen.
SM launches fine, but no files are linked.

In deeper dive, I see the computer sees my drive ordinarily called “Library” as “Library 1”.

What happened:
A dirty drive unmount of Library somehow caused a FOLDER called “Library” to be created inside /Volumes.

The fix:
In Finder, type shift-cmd-G, type /Volumes
Seek folder w/ drive name and if present, delete it.
You will need to enter password.
Unmount/Remount disk using disk utility.
Voila.

More in this thread:

cheers!

-jeremiah

ps - what’s going on,  codedestructor.com/forum  is not displaying a forum.

--
jeremiah moore  |  SOUND | San Francisco

The TANK Center for Sonic Arts | Rangely, Colorado

Nathaniel Reichman

Mar 3, 2017, 11:11:16 PM3/3/17
to jmo...@northstation.net, Soundminer Users Collective
I have online drives called NAME, and backup drives called NAME-. When I’m swapping drives, sometimes I accidentally get two drives with the same name. The Volume mount point gets changed to NAME 1 for one of the drives, causing SM confusion. Simply fixing the duplicate drive name and rebooting has always taken care of it for me. Interesting discussion thread on Apple. Thanks for posting.

Nathaniel Reichman

Google Voice (rings all phones): (518) 966-2226 | iPhone (Messages/Facetime): (917) 921-3446
Skype: NReichman | Manhattan studio landline: (212) 989-9500

Jeremiah Moore

Mar 3, 2017, 11:35:09 PM3/3/17
to reic...@mac.com, Soundminer Users Collective
I was able to correct the problem without rebooting even.

- Unmount “DRIVE 1” (which should be called “DRIVE”
- Delete folder Volumes/DRIVE
- Mount “DRIVE”

I also quit Soundminer (I run in “freelancer mode” w/ database on “DRIVE”)

(Incidentally, I backup systems with Crashplan, and specifically target the Soundminer Support folder on library drive. Has saved me several times when I got database corruption I could roll back to old.)

-j