An "Assistant Flag" In Database

Stephen Barden

Jun 24, 2016, 5:21:03 PM6/24/16
to Soundminer Users Collective
Hi folks...

Often when I'm browsing through my database, I'll come across a sound (usually a folder of sounds, to be accurate) that need(s) some love from my assistant (bad naming protocol, more descriptive names needed, too much silence at the beginning of the clip, etc.).

I am looking for a really quick way of flagging those records so that an assistant can quickly search for them to act upon them. I don't really want to have to type something - it's usually apparent what needs to happen to the records.

Is there a work flow that anyone can recommend with this in mind? A particular metadata field into which I can enter a particular character? Add the records to a spotting list? Add the records to a playlist?

The assistant accesses the database on the same machine at times when I'm not on it. Conceivably, I might quit out of SM between the times when I am cutting and when the assistant is working.

I am running 4.5Pro (v187).

Thanks for reading and in advance for your input.

Barden

Josh Ritz

Jun 24, 2016, 5:45:17 PM6/24/16
to bar...@sounddogs.ca, Soundminer Users Collective

I would put a note into a field you don't use, using a word or phrase you wouldn't use in another field (such as putting XXX, FIXFIXFIX, etc) and add that field to the search index. This will allow your assistant to search for flagged files, and will allow you to easily flag them using the focus key e when browsing. You can even embed that information so that the flags can move with the files.

Josh Ritz

Helge Schwarz

Jun 24, 2016, 9:16:20 PM6/24/16
to bar...@sounddogs.ca, Soundminer Users Collective
Have a look at WINDOW > MULTI METATAG WINDOW (since SoundminerPro4.3v10).

After defining your typical-issue-categories you can even one-click-batch-tag specific problems into any free field.

I recommend to use a unique search-term-prefix, e.g.[ #fix= ].
#fix=INTRO_SILENCE
#fix=DESCRIPTION
#fix=CATEGORY
#fix=SPELLING
#fix=OTHER
#fix=DOUBLE
#fix=DENOISE
#fix=DECLICK
#fix=TRASH
…

If you dont (want to) update your searchindex your assistant might
just right-click- „SEARCH IN FIELD“ or could search inside your custom issue-field by
EDIT > SHOW ADVANCED SEARCH (Shift-Command-F)

Stephen Barden

Jun 25, 2016, 12:10:03 AM6/25/16
to Soundminer Users Collective
Josh...

Thank you for this!

sb

Stephen Barden

Jun 25, 2016, 12:11:20 AM6/25/16
to Soundminer Users Collective
Helge...

Thank you!  You offered a great solution AND provided me with a nudge to learn a new feature that I had been ignoring for too long!

Thanks again.

sb

Jeremiah Moore

Jun 25, 2016, 4:04:01 AM6/25/16
to Soundminer Users Collective
Incredible. How did I not know this was there?

-j

jeremiah moore  |  SOUND | San Francisco

The TANK center for sonic arts | Rangely, CO | Opening 2016

Stephen Barden

Jun 25, 2016, 1:19:03 PM6/25/16
to Soundminer Users Collective
I love this and have my own set of metatags set up in the Multi MetaTag window.

One drawback (unless there is a workaround that I am missing):

I am very much a person who avoids mousing whenever possible.  So when I find a record that I want to metatag, it means that I have to mouse click on the Multi MetaTag window which takes the program (Soundminer) attention away from the main library window.  This means that I can't just "down arrow" to the next record I'm browsing without clicking back on the main Soundminer library window (that's two mouse clicks that really slow me down).  Because the <Command-`> keystroke (which is normally the Mac OS keystroke for change attention window within a given program) is used in Soundminer to change to the RAM DB, I can't switch over to the main library window without mousing.

I suppose I could write an app-specific shortcut key in the Mac OS (keyboard system prefs) that switches to the main library window...

Any other thoughts or insight from anyone?

Thanks
sb