.M suffix (mono) Good or Bad?

Dan

May 1, 2017, 12:21:03 PM5/1/17
to Soundminer Users Collective
How many of you use the .M suffix? I'm interested in knowing your reasons, for or against using it.

Helge Schwarz

May 1, 2017, 12:43:41 PM5/1/17
to dker...@gmail.com, Soundminer Users Collective
Hi Dan,

.C comes out C, if you have one. Silence @2.0
.M comes out LR - for 2.0-room-compatibility

Helge

Am 01.05.2017 um 18:21 schrieb Dan <dker...@gmail.com>:

How many of you use the .M suffix? I'm interested in knowing your reasons, for or against using it.

Dan

May 1, 2017, 3:16:27 PM5/1/17
to Soundminer Users Collective, dker...@gmail.com
Hi Helge,

Thanks for you response. May I get come clarification please?

Are you for or against using the .M suffix? What version of Soundminer are you using?

How does the .C relate to the .M and what is meant by 'Silence @2.0? Did you get a .C to scan into Soundminer without a .L associated with it?

I'm using SMv4.5v231 with ReWire in a 2.0 room and mono sound files audition out LR speakers with or without the .M suffix.

Best,

Helge Schwarz

May 1, 2017, 4:15:11 PM5/1/17
to dker...@gmail.com, Soundminer Users Collective
Hi Dan,

i switched from Channel-Layout „C“ (which i liked for listening real mono hard-center)
to channel-layout „M“ (played as phantom-center by L/R speaker - even in 5.1-rooms)
since using SM-Freelancer-Mode (Soundminer app carried mobile on the soundfx-harddisc)
on not only 7.1- or 5.1-rooms but sometimes also in 2.0-only-studios
because i wasn’t able to hear mono „C“ soundfx without installed center speaker.

You have to choose for yourself:

CHANNEL-LAYOUT M
+ plays mono soundfx on stereo-rooms
- plays mono soundfx as phantom-source from Left and Right speaker - even in 5.1 rooms

CHANNEL-LAYOUT C
+ offers real mono-hardcenter
- does not play in stereo-rooms (because there is no center speaker = you hear silence)

Well, instead of „M“ you can leave the field channel-layout empty,
which results in the same behaviour - exept: you can’t tell from looking at your metadata,
if the channel-layout is empty by intentionally because your soundfx is „mono“
or just because the channel-layout field was not yet tagged. Thats why i prefer „M“ over [ ] empty.
So i can sort for empty channel-layout fields and fill them correctly.

MY FILENAMES
.. are just „filename.wav“ (without „.C“ or „.L“ or „.R“ .. )
no matter how many channels inside (i do my complete archiving in interleaved format).
My channelorders vary from M to L/R or L/R/Ls/Rs or L/R/C/Lfe/Ls/Rs or L/C/R/Ls/Rs/Lfe - whatever.

I use SMP4.5v238 in 2.0 up to 13.1 rooms.

Best regards, helge

Dan

May 9, 2017, 1:26:20 PM5/9/17
to Soundminer Users Collective, dker...@gmail.com
Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it.