Downloading issue concerning HTML5 player

Pierre Bellon

Mar 16, 2012, 6:49:14 AM3/16/12
to SoundCloudAPI
I didn't found an other way to report this issue so I will do it in
this group.

I was curious about how the HTML5 player of soundcloud was working so
I looked with chrome developpers tools but what I found may be a
problem.
I found that you can download every song uploaded on soundcloud, I
don't know if it's normal or not but it sounds wrong to me.

To do that I just looked in HTML sources and script tags included in
every "player", and I noticed the "streamUrl" key in the user object
contained in that script:
<script type="text/javascript">
window.SC.bufferTracks.push({"id":24147530,"uid":"nWYZ1rT95hQi","user":
{"username":"NOISIA","permalink":"noisia"},"uri":"/noisia/noisia-
tommys-theme","duration":280530,"token":"Kumam","name":"noisia-tommys-
theme","title":"Noisia - Tommy's
Theme","commentable":true,"revealComments":true,"commentUri":"/noisia/
noisia-tommys-theme/comments/","streamUrl":"http://
media.soundcloud.com/stream/nWYZ1rT95hQi?
</script>

And here you have access to the file uploaded. It seemed to me too
simple so I wanted to see if it was possible to do it on every tracks,
and it is.
I made a dirty and simple userscript for Google Chrome (here :
http://pastie.org/3607249) to test it just create a file ending like
"whatever.user.js" and drop it on your browser. After installed if you
go on an artist soundcloud's page (like here:
http://soundcloud.com/search?q%5Bfulltext%5D=Noisia) you can download
his tracks.

PS: sorry for my poor english