new year's greetings and section business

D.J. Hatfield

Jan 8, 2021, 11:52:19 AM1/8/21
to sound-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sound Studies Section Members

Now that we are through with what has turned out to be a very eventful year, I would like to wish everyone a healthy 2021. Here at the Berklee College of Music in Boston, we are still conducting most classes remotely, and spring conferences seem also to have been moved into an online mode. Hopefully we will be able to see each other at the next SEM conference in Atlanta

Yet, it is that wonderful time of year in which SEM reminds you to renew your membership if you haven't already. As you renew your membership, please do remember to sign up as a member of the Sound Studies Section and, if you can, pay dues (10-15 for student and non-and part time professional members, 20-25 for  full-time professional members). We will use our dues for paper prizes and other fine uses. So please contribute what you can

Another matter of section business is elections. At the annual meetings, Davindar and I asked who might be willing to fill offices and committees; it's now time to begin the process of nominations and electing our new officers. Although normally the chair and member-at-large will be elected in even years, we will elect a new chair and member-at-large to serve one-year terms this time around (normally, the terms are two year terms), as well as electing a secretary for a two-year term. As former co-chairs, Davindar and I will remain active in an advisory capacity

Please nominate yourself or others to the following positions:

Chair
Secretary
Member-at-Large
Communications Committee (i.e., tech czars: 2-3 members)
Curatorial Committee (3 members)
Conference Panel Committee (3 members)

A description of the responsibilities of each are below. We welcome nominations of people at various stages of their career, from different sorts of institutions, and with different takes on sound studies. So don't be shy!

Best

DJ

----
Responsibilities of Officers / Committees

Chair

            Prepares, Convenes, and runs the annual meeting at the SEM conference

Appoints members to standing committees (see committees below)

Creates ad hoc committees as necessary

Prepares annual reports for SEM Board in coordination with the Secretary

Prepares agenda for annual meeting in coordination with the Secretary

Secretary

            Prepares agenda for annual meeting in coordination with the Chair

Prepares and submits minutes of proceedings for approval of all business meetings for subsequent distribution to membership

Records attendance at the Section meeting

Coordinates online nominations and voting for Section elections

Serves as chair for communications committee

Member at Large

            Serves as chair for Conference Panel and Curatorial Committees

Former Chair

            Serves in an advisory role for one year after term

Committees

The Secretary chairs the Communications Committee. Other standing committees will be chaired by the Member at Large

Communications Committee

Maintains and monitors the Section listserv, Develops and maintains the Section website, assists Curatorial Committee with call for proposals and promotion for SoundingBoard

Curatorial Committee

Works with the SEM conference local arrangements committee to secure a venue for SoundingBoard, solicits proposals and chooses pieces for SoundingBoard, Works with Communications Committee to promote SoundingBoard

Conference Panel Committee

In coordination with Section Chair, the Conference Panel Committee solicits panel proposals for conferences and makes decisions on Section sponsorship for panels