Suggestion: Use Discord instead of Google Groups

Toine Rademacher

Jun 8, 2024, 8:14:08 AMJun 8
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Hi,

I wanted to suggest to maybe transfer this group to a Discord server in the future. I'm curious what you guys and Nir think about this. Google Groups is e-mail based and feels pretty, clunky, old and disorganised.

Thanks
Toine

Nir Arbel

Jun 8, 2024, 8:21:41 AMJun 8
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Yeah I've been looking for a Google Groups alternative just yesterday. There's a lot of things Google Groups used to that it doesn't do anymore... I can't even pin topics on here. I looked into ProBoards but it doesn't seem ideal. I was thinking maybe Telegram, but I'll definitely check out Discord as well.

Toine Rademacher

Jun 8, 2024, 4:17:39 PMJun 8
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
@Nir Alright :)! Maybe with Discord it's a risk that it maybe gets banned because "Soulseek promotes piracy". But if at least no music or direct links get shared there, I dont think it will be a problem. Telegram is also a good option, but Discord just has more and better community and bot features.

elt...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2024, 5:04:30 AMJun 10
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
1) Telegram bot features are better than Discord's;
2) Discord banning a Soulseek server is not a possibility, it's a given.

Nir Arbel

Jun 10, 2024, 1:48:57 PMJun 10
to Soulseek Technical Discussion

Luke Tran-Nguyen

Jun 10, 2024, 4:06:24 PMJun 10
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Consider using a self-hosted version of Revolt!
It's an open source chat platform that functions similarly to Discord.