"Port CLOSED. Your router and/or Soulseek client needs to be configured correctly."

faxc...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2018, 8:56:31 AM7/9/18
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
I have the issue with the ports 58545/58546. I tried everything to make them open but nothing works.
My router is TP-LINK TL-WR740N. I followed the guide provided, both ports are added successfully, but when I test them it says "CLOSED".
Please help.

michaelau...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2018, 4:50:02 AM7/10/18
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Check you have use UPnP port mapping enabled. It might just be that simple, and maybe then restart Soulseek. It worked for me

faxc...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2018, 4:52:53 AM7/10/18
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
It is. Actually, all three options are already enabled, but it still says closed.

michaelau...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2018, 7:42:08 AM7/12/18
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
I have managed to avoid portforwarding etc., and have no idea how to go about it, but my Soulseek recently stopped connecting altogether, permanent Dead Red Bird! and I could not even access the Soulseek site apart from the forums which are Google. No one else reported a problem so eventually I restarted my router. I do not have a static IP. Problem solved. Just a possibility...

christoph....@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2018, 5:29:48 PM7/12/18
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
same problem here :/
any news on a solution?

michaelau...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2018, 4:33:39 AM7/16/18
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
The solution is to ensure your ports are open. This depends on your router set up etc. A single solution does not apply to all

edwardvon

Jul 28, 2018, 1:56:39 PM7/28/18
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
I have the same problem.  I wish to share a huge classical library and also some personally-recorded files that are unique, however, I use a VPN like all of you should, to protect my password and banking information and do NOT go online with my naked ISPs IP address.
I know how to port forward, and I have my router configured for it, but when you're on a VPN, I do not know how to open the port required effectively if the VPN service blocks the open port.  Opening ports via a router, even if your IP address is static, does not seem to matter
a bit, as the IP address asigned by the VPN service simply won't allow the VPN to be bypassed.
To anyone with technical know-how here...is their a solution?  I despise being accused of leeching and want to share.  An occasional Soulseeker gets inordinately angry with me and messages me with ad hominem attacks, but despite my best efforts, the darn port won't permit uploads!  I want to contribute, but some of you guys "see red" and don't give a "wit" about honest people who are having issues with ports.  Learning to open ports through a VPN involves a bit of a steep learning curve.  Can anyone help?  Or should I give up and just contribute money?

Jeroen Peetermans

Jul 28, 2018, 7:43:10 PM7/28/18
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Are there other people who aren't able to connect to Soulseek?
This is the first time in YEARS i experience this.

Are the servers down, or should it have something to do with the configurations i've changed to my router today?

Thanks in advance!

Michael Wright

Jul 28, 2018, 10:09:08 PM7/28/18
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
hi, i have tried asking on here how to get both ports open but u just cant with a vpn especially pia vpn. i have found a way to get it working . if the vpn portforward port is 5567 then u need to set the listening port in soulseek to 5566, that way the ofuscated port will then be 5567, then people will be able to download from u and u will be able to download from other people. a port check in soulseek with show that 1 of your ports is still closed , just ignore it.soulseek will work fine. thats how i have mine setup and mine works fine. u need to make sure u have portforward enabled in the vpn, and if your vpn is privateinternet access you need to make sure u have chosen a server that has portforwarding enabled.
Message has been deleted

edvonri...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2018, 3:29:40 PM7/31/18
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Just contacted my VPN provider, one of the biggest in the USA.  They do not offer or permit Port Forwarding like some other VPN provider may.  The ports will always report as closed unless your VPN provider specifically directs you to a server in their list of servers that is configured to allow port forwarding. My provider is considering the addition of port forwarding in the future.  So I'm done beating my head against the wall and pissing other Soulseekers off by looking like a leecher.  For all of the time I've spent trying to open my ports to share some of my music, I've lost many billable hours of time.  Maybe donating money is the better way to go.
Message has been deleted

zanske...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2019, 9:02:31 AM8/8/19
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Hi
I had same problem, tried everything and solution for me was to reset the router phisicaly.(Just press the tiny button on the router). Hope it Works out for you :)

ward....@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2020, 2:19:45 PM2/13/20
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
This worked for me.

martin...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2020, 5:16:48 PM3/8/20
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
I tried restarting my router. Nothing happened. Changed the listening port. Nothing happened. I have used by default UPnP port mapping and NAT-PMP mapping, all to no use. I am clueless in terms of networking but I have never had a problem with Soulseek. Usually it was just restarting the application and it worked from there. Can anyone figure out what's going on? I have a huge music library to share.

ward....@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2020, 6:21:03 AM3/10/20
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Marti..., If your problem comes from using a VPN, as mine did, then I suggest doing the following. Configure your VPN to allow port forwarding and then do what Michael Wright suggested above (comment dated 7/29/2018). This worked for me.

Demétrio Duarte

Apr 28, 2020, 5:26:50 AM4/28/20
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
I have a HUAWEI Model B310s-22...
Can you help me opening a port to soulseek?

can...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2020, 2:13:28 AM8/8/20
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
How I solved this problem is that I opened my Torrent program, searched under options, and found the port number the Torrent program used to download. I then opened Soulseek and entered the new port number. Everything worked fine after that and I was able to resume downloading on SS again. What I don't know is if I can download from both programs at the same time, but that's just a minor problem if it comes up. This solution saved endless hours of groping in the dark searching online as a non-tech person. Even if you don't use a Torrent program, download one and find what port it uses.

Nour Rodriguez

Oct 4, 2021, 4:49:20 AM10/4/21
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
These are the right steps to follow and I hope it helps anyone who has their port closed.

1 - Download Port Triggering Initiator from here
2- Open Soulseek, Options, Login and copy your listening port.
3- open  Port Triggering Initiator and Add port from the + sign.
4- name your port triggering whatever you like, leave the google site as it is then, right click and paste your soulseek listening port in the Triggring port box. leave triggring port type at both and in interval write 15 or leave it as it is at 10.
5- close Soulseek completely.
6- Restart your Router and wait from 10 to 20 seconds before turning it on again.
7- Open Soulseek and check ports, Now your port is open.

random random

Oct 8, 2021, 7:29:28 AM10/8/21
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
I don't know if that error is intermittent or what, but even after testing ports closed and errors on upnp, I can download perfectly. I'm more worried about my shared files not being seem, I already tested a test user in another machine and didn't managed to find my shared files. But still, from time to time there are files uploaded.

Ariel Gioia

Jan 7, 2022, 11:02:56 AM1/7/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
I was having the same issue and managed to fix it by adding the port to soulseek's PUBLIC firewall ruleset thing (inbound only).

You can do this by going to:
Control panel > Windows Defender Firewall > Advanced settings (you need admin rights for this) > go to Inbound rules > double click "SoulseekQT" (public)¹

Then click the "Protocols and ports" tab, select "Specific ports" and add whatever port-ports you want Soulseek to use

¹I applied said ruleset to both UDP/TCP connection types.

Hope this helps

Ariel Gioia

Jan 7, 2022, 11:05:37 AM1/7/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Almost forgot, for some stupid reason (probably makes sense for tech-savy people) soulseek doesn't use the PRIVATE network ruleset...

(my inbound/outbound connections are fully permitted under that)

Julio David exs M Polo

Oct 15, 2022, 12:40:54 PM10/15/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
how do i restart it?

george.k...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2023, 2:03:35 PM8/22/23
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
None of these suggestions work.
Now what ?

DJ Nikko

Sep 23, 2023, 10:51:57 AM9/23/23
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
USE THIS >  https://www.theloadguru.com/soulseek-configuration/
OR Follow This, and you should be good to go > TUTORIAL

Message has been deleted

Zoltán Német

Dec 19, 2023, 1:27:44 AM12/19/23
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Hi,

my problem was caused by a firewall. Server IP was on a blacklist (router decided to be a suspicious address).
Check if you can ping slsknet.org and server.slsknet.org or vps.slsknet.org (208.76.170.59).
If connection timeout try to check from another network (e.g. from mobile data).
If it does not work from anywhere maybe the server is temporarly down, or you have an ISP block in your country.
If it works from one network the issue is in the other network.
Check if IP and/or ports are blocked (in =listening and out =server) ports can be set in the slsk client. If you change don't forget to restart client.

afrokongband afrokongband a következőt írta (2023. december 14., csütörtök, 3:37:01 UTC+1):
Please Help me

Hello friend, I have a port problem with soulseekQt I used your method in advanced firewall settings I opened soulseek TCP ports but still can't connect to soulseek SHOW A MESSAGE connection failure error reason for socket failure despite open port for help
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted