Having issuse with a person

John Sokolowski

Mar 4, 2022, 5:06:13 PM3/4/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Hello Im on soulseek NS and  jsut the past few days have been getting some files from someone that now has be banned, I didnt know he had how much you can download  in a day, so he has be banned I have no way of getting in touch him if someone could message him and let him know Im very sorry and will not do this next time, but my messages arent going threw to him, and I have no other way to  get in touch with him appreciate the help

Rogue Master

Nov 13, 2022, 6:19:50 PM11/13/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Just block them and move on

William Woollard

Nov 13, 2022, 6:24:20 PM11/13/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
why are you still using soulseekNS ?

anencephalic

Nov 13, 2022, 6:31:15 PM11/13/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
If you log in to Soulseek with another username/password, a new one that you make up, you can message or download from the other user without being ignored.

William Woollard

Nov 13, 2022, 10:18:43 PM11/13/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
people like cam are the problem with sousleek

William Woollard

Nov 13, 2022, 10:58:56 PM11/13/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
in the same way republicans are the problem with america

William Woollard

Nov 13, 2022, 11:32:11 PM11/13/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
you're* holding back progress because of your willful ignorance

William Woollard

Nov 13, 2022, 11:41:00 PM11/13/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
i share 55tb
you brag about donating to the asshole who refuses to fix any of the problems with soulseek ... none of them are because of QT or nicotine+ or whatever client, its the asshole running the shitshow taking donations without fixing a damn thing and people like you who pretend they know what they are talking about... QT and N+ are rife with problems ? how is it that nicotine+ works fine for me and when it doesn't they fix it, and when NS and QT don't work Nir asks for donations so tell me, and the group , what problems is nicotine+ rife with lol the problem isn't the software that can be fixed, its the people like you that cannot

William Woollard

Nov 13, 2022, 11:46:51 PM11/13/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
so you can't even give us a couple of examples of 'rife with problems'.... i appreciate your capitulation

William Woollard

Nov 13, 2022, 11:56:50 PM11/13/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
so still no answer to the question .. par for the course

William Woollard

Nov 13, 2022, 11:57:29 PM11/13/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Nir works hard ? lol seriously ?

anencephalic

Nov 13, 2022, 11:58:45 PM11/13/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
You know, William, on Google Groups, it looks as if you’re having a rant with yourself. If your antagonist isn’t imagined, I can’t see their half of the conversation.

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 12:01:39 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
he's just some greedy asshole using your ignorance to harvest donations. which i myself would donate to, as i do to several dozen private trackers and many newsgroups which is why im able to offer one of the most unique and desirable shares on the network, bringing more than generic audio files to soulseek, if he was open to fixing problems, but that would require him to resort to open source code ... which would limit if not virtually eliminate his financial incentive .. you're a useless. clueless tool

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 12:04:45 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
i can only seen cam on my phone but not my pc,,, don't' really care why as this is the only google group i am in, other than to make the point that even the forum Nir uses is substandard why do you expect his software to be any good ? seriously its almost the end of 2022 where i live, this is like having a conversation with the 1990s

anencephalic

Nov 14, 2022, 12:09:39 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion

Half a conversation with the 1990s.

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 12:11:48 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
still cannot answer a simple question. says more than the bullshit you typed
Message has been deleted

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 12:16:21 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
fuck you Nir

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 12:22:31 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
sharing 55tb isn't enough support ? being told im the only person sharing x several times a day isn't enough ? you actually have no idea what you talking about, based on forum comments, on google groups ,, lol are you fucking kidding me

Nir Arbel

Nov 14, 2022, 12:28:16 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion

Hi William,

Please refrain from personal attacks on this forum. I don't want to ban you but I will if you continue. Some of the claims you made are false, for example, we never ask for donations unless the user is already happy with the service. Soulseek is a free service and works very well for most people without the need to ever donate. Out of curiosity, what do you think are the biggest outstanding issues with SoulseekQt?

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 12:39:33 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
for starters, all the comments about soulseekQT on mac not working are dominating the forum. not NS or N+
as far as soulseek in general, there are so many problems i don't' even know where to start, the lack of being able to moderate the queue might be a good place but, ,, the question i get asked most often is how to share, which is what this is supposed to be all about, but people don't have to share, so they don't and even when they are trying its not obvious how to... why is so hard for people to share on soulseek? they can find the donate link,,,,i have never once been asked about that, but almost daily i have to help someone figure out how to share folders so they can download from me because the design of the app is so poor... seriously ? i had to get help making a modified script to block the overwhelming number of people on the network sharing nothing... there should just always be a big red button or something visible on every screen "SHARE".

Nir Arbel

Nov 14, 2022, 1:01:42 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
I think you were around when I was trying to figure out the Mac issue. I couldn't reproduce it, and as far as I know it has to do with a kernel bug in macOS. No one has complained about it on the forum for a while, so I'm not sure if the problem went away or not. But I honestly don't know how to fix it if it's still happening to people.

As to users not knowing how to share, I do agree that the share button placement is pretty bad. The whole action bar on top was a bad idea, as I've acknowledged multiple times. Maybe it would be better to move the share option into the file sharing panel, but I'm honestly not sure how big of an issue it is for people. It comes up on the forum every once in a while, but certainly nowhere near as frequently as every day.

As to people not sharing, users are told when they first run the client that many other users expect them to share in order to download. Some users have asked me to implement an option to automatically ban users who don't share, but it's not something I really want to do because it feels too harsh. The compromise was to let users lock their files so that other users have to negotiate with the uploader before they download.

As to moderating the queue, I'm not sure what you mean. You can ban users if you want to, and award different download priorities to downloading users based on groups you assign them to. I'm sure some users would want more flexibility, but I think what's there works well for most everyone.

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 1:06:53 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Some users have asked me to implement an option to automatically ban users who don't share, but it's not something I really want to do because it feels too harsh.

there is the problem

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 1:12:16 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
FYI: we can already do that with nicotine and a modified plugin ... just make it part of soulseek already. give that to all the people who want/need it to help make the community a better place... why protect and defend the users sharing nothing unless you are worried about a decrease in donations? maybe there is something i am missing, so enlighten me

Nir Arbel

Nov 14, 2022, 1:28:52 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
I just don't think mass banning of users is a good dynamic to have on the system. Like it or not, the system is built on good will. We give people a free service that works well without ever having to pay. We rely on people's kindness to support us. Some users are going to share, some users won't. As I said, we let users know they're expected to share when they first run the client. If you're that concerned about people downloading from you without sharing, you can lock your files, or I guess use nicotine+.
Message has been deleted

anencephalic

Nov 14, 2022, 1:32:35 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion

I agree auto-banning is a bad idea.  Sure people ask for it, but it’ll cause unnecessary grief.  I restart the client lots of times and, for whatever reason, my shares have disappeared. Until I notice and rescan, it looks as if I’m a leech.  Some mindless script that automatically bans me is too draconian in the real world.  I think banning should be a choice users make on a case-by-case basis.

Just because people ask for something like that doesn’t mean it's a good idea to provide it.  I often get the automatic “Please share” notification from users even when my shares are visible.  When I message them and they browse me, they see everything.  It’s their client that’s confused.  Maybe my client took too long to respond.  I don’t want to be auto-banned for that either.  Clients could end up banning hundreds of users and reduce the apparent size of the user base unnecessarily.

People should get to choose how to interact with the network.  Open sharing, user list or not at all.  If that annoys others, they can ban manually.  I think these problems cure themselves organically eventually.

anencephalic

Nov 14, 2022, 1:35:11 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
William, you’re a real charmer.

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 1:36:19 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
nicotine+ doesn't have that problem
you have to restart QT to update the info or something, i don't use it cause it sucks, i never had that problem even once myself, or from other nicotine users, only QT
if you believe that these problems cure themselves organically, you're not sharing enough
i get 1000s of requests a day ... am i supposed to manually ban them all ? one by one ? really ? you have no idea because you only share a few mp3

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 1:37:37 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
 "William, you’re a real charmer."
Please refrain from personal attacks on this forum

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 1:38:53 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
way to contribute lol

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 1:43:04 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
It’s their client that’s confused.  Maybe my client took too long to respond.

no, that isn't real

anencephalic

Nov 14, 2022, 1:50:58 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
It seems you’re more interested in arguing than in problem solving.  Perhaps you can find someone else to do that with.  Bye bye.

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 2:04:35 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
way to offer no solution ... really ? this is what i find on sousleek too many times a day, and that is a direct result of 0 quality control on the network, its not my fault, i am just making you aware of it

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 3:25:02 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
2022-11-14 03:17:55 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] [AUTOMATED MESSAGE]Bot finds less than 1000 files and 2 folders = BAN
2022-11-14 03:20:53 [Haideez81] Pfft as if 800 files shared is insignificant. What a poser.
2022-11-14 03:20:53 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] [Automatic Message] Nicotine+ 3.2.6 Released
2022-11-14 03:23:28 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] um
2022-11-14 03:23:32 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] i share 55tb
2022-11-14 03:23:49 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] 2022-11-14 03:23:36 IP address of user Haideez81 is 93.142.91.226, port 29867 (HR / Croatia)
2022-11-14 03:23:49 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] 2022-11-14 03:23:39 LEECH-B-GONE: New user tijay, requesting information...
2022-11-14 03:23:49 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] 2022-11-14 03:23:39 LEECH-B-GONE: User tijay is okay, sharing 3267 files and 509 folders
2022-11-14 03:24:04 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] you have 7gb of shit mp3 lol
2022-11-14 03:24:09 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] poser indeed lol
2022-11-14 03:24:09 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] wow

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 3:26:10 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
that is what soulseek looks like for me, all day, every day, so why don't you people start sharing over 50tb and see how it works for you rather than pretending that i share a few gb of mp3 like its the 1990s

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 4:08:35 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
022-11-14 03:42:20 [Hey] hmm is it still not loading?
2022-11-14 03:42:27 [Hey] shouldn't be 0
2022-11-14 03:42:46 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] one sec
2022-11-14 03:43:01 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] are you using soulseekQT ?
2022-11-14 03:43:36 [Hey] yeah
2022-11-14 03:43:45 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] ok
2022-11-14 03:44:03 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] go to options tab, then login, and click check port button
2022-11-14 03:44:17 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] does the web page report closed ?
2022-11-14 03:45:16 [Hey] i don't even see that option
2022-11-14 03:45:35 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] its where you can set the port number
2022-11-14 03:45:39 [Hey] wait yeah it does
2022-11-14 03:45:43 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] yeha
2022-11-14 03:46:20 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] so you need to forward a port, the one set in there or which ever you choose, through your firewall for soulseek to work correctly
2022-11-14 03:47:02 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] this will also help with any p2p
2022-11-14 03:52:03 [Hey] ah ok i found some info on port forwarding thanks for the help
2022-11-14 03:55:39 [Hey] i restarted. anything there now?
2022-11-14 04:00:40 [Hey] you still there
2022-11-14 04:00:44 [Hey] ?
2022-11-14 04:01:28 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] yeah
2022-11-14 04:01:30 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] sorry
2022-11-14 04:01:39 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] demand is high on sunday nights
2022-11-14 04:01:52 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] still no share
2022-11-14 04:01:55 [Hey] no worries
2022-11-14 04:02:24 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] its possible you have it set to user list only
2022-11-14 04:02:44 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] but probably closed port
2022-11-14 04:03:47 [Hey] damn idk i'll work on it some more tomorrow
2022-11-14 04:04:02 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] ive been here over 20 years
2022-11-14 04:04:06 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] no rush
2022-11-14 04:04:39 [Hey] wow didn't know it's been around that long
2022-11-14 04:04:56 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] yep
2022-11-14 04:05:07 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] early 2000s for soulseek
2022-11-14 04:05:14 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] before that irc and bbs
2022-11-14 04:05:30 [Hey] i'm late to the party it seems
2022-11-14 04:05:42 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] its still going
2022-11-14 04:06:26 [Hey] well thanks again for the help
2022-11-14 04:06:28 [Hey] later

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 4:11:14 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
just so you know i wasn't bullshitting

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 4:32:26 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
please, feel free to post logs of the people you help on soulseek ....

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 5:32:57 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
2022-11-14 04:46:51 [krazydude] Hey there.
2022-11-14 04:46:51 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] [Automatic Message] Nicotine+ 3.2.6 Released
2022-11-14 04:47:05 [krazydude] Why am I banned? I'm in Portugal.
2022-11-14 04:56:21 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] let me check
2022-11-14 04:57:29 [Ultraviolet Catastrophe] see if it works now
2022-11-14 05:29:12 [krazydude] It's on queue, so I assume it works. Thanks a lot man.
2022-11-14 05:29:22 [krazydude] Feel free to get anything from me as well.

anencephalic

Nov 14, 2022, 10:10:41 AM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
So you’re Ultraviolet Catastrophe.  That explains a lot.  Thanks for posting your logs.

I see that your “helping people” includes merely undoing the problems you cause by auto-banning them in the first place.  Your “thousands of requests per day” “all day, every day” appear self inflicted.  If you advertise a large collection and then mass ban folks who try to access it, of course you’re going to get lots of requests that you alone can fix. That’s not altruism.

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 5:37:25 PM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
its like you guys are trying to not understand the point... i love when you have to create elaborate little fantasies because you are incapable of facing the reality,, this is just simple maths im talking about. and the number of 0 shares is a design fault in the network, not a feature.
if everyone shared as much as they could, as i do, soulseek would be a better place, unless there is something im missing, if everyone shared 0 there would be no soulseek so im just looking for common ground in between that
what does my username explain a lot? just curious.
undoing problems caused by me ? no. the requests are the transfers, not the messages. sorry i though that was apparent. i don't mind uploading, that is why i share. i upload more every 24 hours than most people share in total. that isn't the issue. i don't know why it's so difficult for people to understand managing limited resources like bandwidth lol
and why its super cool for people take without offering anything in return but im the asshole for sharing 55tb and trying to deal with the limited tools provided by the software
try sharing 50+tb on soulseek, let me know how it works for you.

William Woollard

Nov 14, 2022, 9:07:13 PM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
guiseppe
even after having something explained to you, you still refuse to understand

i am trying to share as much as possible with as many people as possible, without rewarding 0 shares or having to keep an exclusive list of users, which in reality means sharing with far fewer people, so i think making files buddy list only is even worse for sharing, but thats cool cause its been thing or whatever heh
you seem to be incapable of reasoning via logic
also. giving without expecting anything is return is charity, which not what im trying to do
i almost never even download stuff myself on soulseek so im not asking for trades or money or anything other than just people do more than nothing

overlord of shares
give me a fucking break
im just using my experience and limited knowledge trying to help make something that doesn't work very good, better
you have make believe i'm Golllum... seriously ?

Felipe AO

Nov 14, 2022, 9:28:38 PM11/14/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Whats wrong with you people? Why dont you just share? Its obvious that the point of the community is sharing. If you dont share, yet you want to download, you are harming the community. What would happen to soulseek if people just didnt share? There would be nothing to download. As much people share, more there is download. Why is it so difficult to understand?