My ip address has been exposed ...through soulseek? How is that possible?

Leonidas

Dec 29, 2021, 11:39:05 AM12/29/21
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
The user givemeyouteeth send me a dick pic with my username and my ip address today.
My ip address has been exposed ...through soulseek? How is that possible?

William Woollard

Dec 29, 2021, 11:46:37 AM12/29/21
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
because any time you use your IP to connect to someone on soulseek, torrents, dc++ etc it is exposed ... if you are worried about that for some specific reason, use a VPN to connect, just make sure the VPN allows a few ports to opened. For the record, I never use a VPN and share 40TB on soulseek and also seed several 1000s of torrents[private trackers], plus a half a dozen other sharing platforms .. if the worst thing givemeyouteeth can do is send a dick pic there isn't really any need to worry. guessing there is more to the story, but that is kind of par for the soulseek course, there is no administration or regulation and so any little asshole can just do whatever.

Leonidas

Dec 29, 2021, 1:12:01 PM12/29/21
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
thank you for your answer