socket error

William Jacquier

May 29, 2024, 2:04:06 PMMay 29
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Hi, i have problem today (SOCKET ERROR)
SOMEONE CAN HELP ME ?
thx by advance

Toine Rademacher

May 29, 2024, 3:19:43 PMMay 29
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
SLSK is down, so that's why

OLeev Toots

May 29, 2024, 3:28:15 PMMay 29
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Have the same problem one hour ago and it's resolved ;)
Not Down @ Toine Rademacher

Hannes Pi

May 31, 2024, 3:15:58 PMMay 31
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
I can't seem to download anything atm

Hannes Pi

May 31, 2024, 3:20:11 PMMay 31
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Up, restarted and killed another process in taskmanager called SOulseekQT now it seems to work again

Op woensdag 29 mei 2024 om 21:28:15 UTC+2 schreef OLeev Toots:
Have the same problem one hour ago and it's resolved ;)

Blair Ketelaar

Jun 3, 2024, 2:23:45 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
hi soulseek is down

BlastoiseVeteran

Jun 3, 2024, 2:25:30 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
glad its not just me, i was about to pull my hair out trying to fix it.

Blair Ketelaar

Jun 3, 2024, 2:33:00 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
hi anyone else find soulseek is down

Electronic Music Lover

Jun 3, 2024, 2:36:24 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
hello , slk is down in Spain. Greetings

Nir Arbel

Jun 3, 2024, 2:39:21 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
The service isn't offline but there are a lot less users on than usual. Is www.slsknet.org visible to you?

Blair Ketelaar

Jun 3, 2024, 2:41:18 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
yes i can see it

Nir Arbel

Jun 3, 2024, 2:47:35 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
The website is visible but the client doesn't reconnect if you exit and restart it completely?

Blair Ketelaar

Jun 3, 2024, 2:48:25 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
no it does not

Nicholas Stevens

Jun 3, 2024, 2:48:43 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Nope, it's not working

Nir Arbel

Jun 3, 2024, 2:50:43 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Sorry do you mean both the website and the client aren't working or just the client?

Blair Ketelaar

Jun 3, 2024, 2:51:46 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
just the client

Nir Arbel

Jun 3, 2024, 3:04:43 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
I restarted the server. Any difference?

Hardcore Uproar

Jun 3, 2024, 3:05:16 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Good morning Nir, it's the same here in the UK and the Netherlands. Client not connecting but showing some users and the website is still accessible.

Nir Arbel

Jun 3, 2024, 3:07:02 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Is this with SoulseekQt? Are you able to connect with Nicotine Plus?

Hardcore Uproar

Jun 3, 2024, 3:07:07 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
No difference after you restarted

DJAetius

Jun 3, 2024, 3:07:10 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
lol another week, another socket error

Nicholas Stevens

Jun 3, 2024, 3:07:16 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
I haven't noticed a difference even with restarting the app

Hardcore Uproar

Jun 3, 2024, 3:08:54 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Nicotine appears to be working

Blair Ketelaar

Jun 3, 2024, 3:12:04 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
how do i install nicotine

Blair Ketelaar

Jun 3, 2024, 3:28:25 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
any ideas what could be wrong

Nir Arbel

Jun 3, 2024, 3:32:40 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
I'm very worried someone is exploiting a software problem in SoulseekQt that doesn't exist in Nicotine+ or slskd... I have no problem connecting with SoulseekQt myself though, so I can't reproduce whatever is happening. I also don't understand why someone using SoulseekQt wouldn't be able to reconnect either. I'm hoping something will shed some light on this soon.

Alex Morris

Jun 3, 2024, 3:45:21 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Nicotine+ and the old school slsk seem to be connecting

heddy.b...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2024, 3:48:16 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
from my side i can confirm it works with nicotine-1-2-16 and not soulseekQt 219-7-22
with same user, and so on

Nir Arbel

Jun 3, 2024, 3:48:21 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Which operating system are you people using?

heddy.b...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2024, 3:48:50 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
w10

Nir Arbel

Jun 3, 2024, 3:55:23 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Hang on, I figured something out. I'll report more soon.

Illorca

Jun 3, 2024, 3:57:50 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
same problem here in italy. Anyway, many thanks to all of you for your work.

Stan Iconic

Jun 3, 2024, 4:06:36 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Eindhoven The Netherlands represent!!! same problem thooo greetings and thanks so much for the awesome app "Soulseek" its a killer!!!!

Punta

Jun 3, 2024, 4:24:10 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
same here its been saying socket error since about last night around 1130pm here in Windsor,on,Canada. I tried to do it about 10 mins ago deleted it then re downloaded it same shit

Nir Arbel

Jun 3, 2024, 4:29:24 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Looks like our main server port was either temporarily blocked by our host or under attack, but it's working for the time being. Nicotine+ and SoulseekNS use a different port so they weren't affected. If you still can't connect, please let us know which server port you have configured. It's listed under Options->Login in SoulseekQt.

Electronic Music Lover

Jun 3, 2024, 4:31:06 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
port 60246
Message has been deleted

heddy.b...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2024, 4:42:57 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
it's ok now thanks a lot Nir

Blair Ketelaar

Jun 3, 2024, 4:45:25 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
so is the latest version of soulseek working again

heddy.b...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2024, 4:47:57 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
spoke too quickly, down again :(

Electronic Music Lover

Jun 3, 2024, 4:51:33 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
hope not much troubles to find a solution, thanks.

ferday the unicorn

Jun 3, 2024, 4:59:09 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
62793
Message has been deleted

Noonien Soong

Jun 3, 2024, 5:16:39 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Port 2242 does not work
Port 2271 does work!

Latest SoulseekQT
Windows 11 Enterprise

sproutletMOSS schrieb am Montag, 3. Juni 2024 um 11:08:43 UTC+2:
64403

Mo

Jun 3, 2024, 5:27:27 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
server port 2416

AK' WAK

Jun 3, 2024, 5:35:42 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
thanx working back with your settings

On Monday, June 3, 2024 at 11:27:27 AM UTC+2 Mo wrote:
server port 2416

Gerd Maes

Jun 3, 2024, 6:32:41 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
not working here

Nir Arbel

Jun 3, 2024, 6:38:36 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
You just need to pick a port other than 2416 or 2242. See the instructions here: https://www.slsknet.org/news/node/3722

ferday the unicorn

Jun 3, 2024, 6:40:49 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
thanks Nir
confirm it works fine

Антон Дикобраз (HystriX)

Jun 3, 2024, 7:08:58 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Tried this and connected successfully. Had problems all last week and today. It seems that the problem with ports persists somehow.

Freek Claessen

Jun 3, 2024, 7:29:44 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion

Thanks for the update. Had the same issue, costed me 2 hours until I read this thread. Working with other server port (not 2416) now.

Ben Ashdown (Manctalo)

Jun 3, 2024, 7:30:32 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
2271 working, 2242 no

Gia Gia

Jun 3, 2024, 8:47:29 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
I can't connect when I'm using AirVPN (https://airvpn.org/).

I contacted their support and they replied:

We're also sorry to hear that our infrastructure was used for such a purpose. If they contact us during such a problem we perhaps could help preventing that similar incidents re-occur.
Kind regards
AirVPN Support Team

Blair Ketelaar

Jun 3, 2024, 8:48:56 AMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
soulseek is working for me

tn5421

Jun 3, 2024, 6:24:36 PMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
It doesn't actually say what ports to pick, just that those two don't work.

Mo

Jun 3, 2024, 11:30:32 PMJun 3
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
well yeah, because most of the ports that aren't those two still work

Sebastian Alvarez

Jun 4, 2024, 4:38:44 AMJun 4
to Soulseek Technical Discussion

Tried changing port to 2271 but it prompted upon reopening: Login failed due to a wrong username/password combination. If you haven't logged in in a while, it's possible your username was recycled and taken by another user. Please try logging in with a different username and password using the button below, or via the 'Login As' button above the Options->Login tab.

Toine Rademacher

Jun 4, 2024, 6:12:24 PMJun 4
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
So 4 days ago I finally was able to connect again from The Netherlands as. I'm using Nicotine 3.3.4 in a Docker Container behind Windscribe VPN with Gluetun and port 2242. This always worked perfectly, but unfortunately the connection problems got back and got the following Error inside Nicotine+: server.slsknet.org:2242: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution
I will try it out with the other port people recommended here '2271' but I'll report back if this will work.

@Nir Arbel: can you give us an update on the blocked ports? Will this be restored, you think? Also, which ports do you recommend to use alternatively for SoulseekQT and Nicotine=? Thanks!

Nir Arbel

Jun 4, 2024, 8:04:10 PMJun 4
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
That looks like a DNS resolution problem, but it seems to resolve properly everywhere.. try looking into your DNS settings, there are free DNS resolvers you can google that might work better for you.

Toine Rademacher

Jun 4, 2024, 8:08:34 PMJun 4
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Hi Nir, I just fixed it! Current settings:
Listening port: 2234 (Port forwarded Router to nas)
I use Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1 DNS
Hope this helps, Thanks!

Nir Arbel

Jun 4, 2024, 8:18:26 PMJun 4
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Glad it worked out!

Lucien23s

Jun 5, 2024, 1:49:40 AMJun 5
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
hey, it seems to be down again? just 1 hour ago here

Nir Arbel

Jun 5, 2024, 1:57:30 AMJun 5
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Everything seems to be up. What port are you using? What error message are you getting?

Lucien23s

Jun 5, 2024, 4:57:43 AMJun 5
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
port 2271 & socket error

Nir Arbel

Jun 5, 2024, 5:02:40 AMJun 5
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
2271 seems to be working for me. You can try 2242 or 2416 but it sounds like there's something else going on.

Lucien23s

Jun 5, 2024, 5:19:37 AMJun 5
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Neither 2242 or 2416 doesn't work for me. I've got this problem for several days. Today I tried it again and it suddenly worked (not sure if it was because I changed the port). I used it normally for about 3 hours but then it returned to the previous state again. By the way I tried the "Check Ports" button and the result was always "CLOSED" even if during the time it worked normally, which is confusing for me.

Nir Arbel

Jun 5, 2024, 5:45:00 AMJun 5
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
The check ports button checks the ports you use to accept connections from other users, it has no bearing on your ability to connect to the server. I'm sorry... I don't know what's causing your connection problem.

Lucien23s

Jun 5, 2024, 7:37:55 AMJun 5
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
that's a frustrating news for me. I almost can't live without slsk... when you know what causes the problem please let me know. thanks in advance!

dirk elst

Jun 6, 2024, 9:45:03 AMJun 6
to Soulseek Technical Discussion

austria here, same issue as Lucien23s

Nir Arbel

Jun 6, 2024, 10:23:05 AMJun 6
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
There's a good chance a VPN will get around any connection problem you're having. If you want to help me diagnose your specific connection problem, you can try installing Wireshark, starting a capture on your network connection using the filter:

tcp port [soulseek port]

Where [soulseek port] is what's listed as the server port under Options->Login. Wireshark should show a bunch of packets coming in. Once it stops, stop the capture and save it as a file. Send it to me privately or if you can't see my email address let me know when you have it and I'll contact you directly.

Thanks, Nir
Message has been deleted

Lucien23s

Jun 7, 2024, 10:29:04 AMJun 7
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Hi, I use VPN quite a lot before my slsk stopped working. I could't connect to slsk when I was using VPN though,  if I wanna do so had to turn it off. So I don't think VPN will work for me, at least not the one I'm using.
And I don't know where to see your email address, yeah. Please let me know how can I contact to you.
Speak of Wireshark, I've downloaded it and I've seen those data packets of slsk successfully. However, the saved output file looks quite big (about 100MB), I guess I only used the filter of observing properly, but the output filter not. Please tell me how to set the filter for saving files.

Toine Rademacher

Jun 8, 2024, 8:12:07 AMJun 8
to Soulseek Technical Discussion

Unfortunately SLSK just stopped working again for me :( (Netherlands). Tried port 2242 (default), 2416 and 2271 but still getting the same error "[Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution"
I'll see if I can try installing and check with Wireshark, but as i'm running Nicotine+ inside a docker container, I dont think it will be that easy.
I'll also try changing the location of my integrated VPN, but when this was the cause of a problem I had before, it didn't show me this same error message.

Nir Arbel

Jun 8, 2024, 8:19:17 AMJun 8
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
That's a DNS resolution failure. Try changing your DNS settings, maybe use a free resolver like 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4

Lucien23s

Jun 8, 2024, 9:24:42 PMJun 8
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Hi Nir, did you see my reply?
Message has been deleted

Lucien23s

Jun 10, 2024, 10:33:49 PMJun 10
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Hi, I tried using other VPN and my slsk started working again. Thank you so much for the help!