Need help testing SoulseekQt universal build for MacOS Intel+Apple Silicon

Nir Arbel

Jan 22, 2022, 4:25:45 AM1/22/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
The build below should work natively on both Intel Macs as well as Apple Silicon (M1) Macs. It's working well on my old Intel Macbook Pro, but I don't have an M1 machine I can test with. Try it out and let me know how it works for you. Some notes:
  • The publicly available version of the Mac client is for Intel only. On Apple Silicon the Rosetta binary translator is automatically used to run it, but apparently not well. I'm hoping this one will work better.
  • There were other performance issues reported with SoulseekQt on Mac, not related to Apple Silicon that I haven't been able to reproduce with Big Sur 11.6.2. This build may perform better on Intel Macs because it uses a newer version of Qt that may be more compatible with Big Sur, but there's no guarantee.
  • This build isn't notarized so if you want to run it you have to right-click the SoulseekQt app inside the DMG, select open and choose to run it despite the warning.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qi7Y7-Q46Gw6mYsrW3vOpE4F2fDMz98l/view?usp=sharing

Dan Peddle

Jan 22, 2022, 10:29:01 AM1/22/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion

requested access, and will give it a go - am on M1 Pro.

thanks for working on this.

Dan Peddle

Jan 22, 2022, 4:42:08 PM1/22/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
So far, so good - seems solid. Is there anything in particular to test? I've tried most things already.

Nir Arbel

Jan 22, 2022, 5:00:06 PM1/22/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Hi Dan, is this on Apple Silicon? If so does it perform better for you than previous builds?

Dan Peddle

Jan 22, 2022, 5:10:30 PM1/22/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
I am on M1, yes - unfortunately, I didn't try the older builds, as I saw there were problems with them, so I can't compare in that way. But, I can say it feels exactly the same as using soulseek on my intel mac.

Nir Arbel

Jan 22, 2022, 5:24:32 PM1/22/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Great! Thanks.

sebastián leiva arias

Jan 28, 2022, 1:26:29 PM1/28/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
hi there, first time in this forum, i just wanted to say THANKS for this macOS update, it's been really a major improvement in UI/UX and responsiveness overall. so, again, thanks!!!

long life to soulseek!
greets from chile south america :)
Message has been deleted

Richrod D Jams

Jan 30, 2022, 11:38:57 AM1/30/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion

Works wonderfully on my 10-year old Intel 2.5Ghz i5.  Thanks!

Jorge Mariani

Feb 6, 2022, 12:50:11 PM2/6/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Hi! As of today, testing on x86:
1 - All downloads are queued.
2 - When trying to check ports, the following error shows up: "The application “Safari” can’t be opened. -42"

Cheers!

quart...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2022, 3:45:46 AM3/2/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Working 100% great on a M1 Pro-powered MacBook Pro. macOS 12.2.1
Message has been deleted

Marlboro Man

Mar 2, 2022, 7:18:01 AM3/2/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
I was too excited but the wheel of death returned, too bad, Mac Pro intel with Monterey 12.2.1, always on generic researches, turning turning for hours

Jorge Chaves

Mar 29, 2022, 7:54:21 PM3/29/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Using Monterey 12.3, it often hangs as well. M1 Max Mbp

Bruce Davies

Apr 8, 2022, 7:36:44 AM4/8/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Sorry, hanging on 12.3.1 Studio M1 Max

Ben D

May 7, 2022, 8:53:36 PM5/7/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
some improvement - lasted almost a couple of minutes before beachballing.  does seem to be related to doing a search with a large result set.  had my hopes up for a moment there.

macos 11.6.5 on a late model imac  (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019, 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 with 128Gb mem)

Nir, if you want to build a version that outputs diagnostic info, I'm happy to run it and send through the results.

Ben

William Woollard

May 7, 2022, 9:00:35 PM5/7/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion

Ben D

May 8, 2022, 1:40:48 AM5/8/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
what is interesting is that I left it spinning and went out for an hour, and it unlocked.  but as soon as I did another search with a large result set, back to spinning beachball.  however this time the beachball stopped spinning and responsiveness returned within a minute.

Bruce Davies

Jun 4, 2022, 8:53:39 AM6/4/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Any news?

Nir Arbel

Jun 4, 2022, 5:13:47 PM6/4/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
I'm sorry, I'm not having any luck reproducing these issues on two separate MacBooks running Big Sur and Monterey. I have no idea what's causing it!

David Opp

Jun 6, 2022, 11:20:33 AM6/6/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
i just downloaded the recent build, runs fine on M1, when searching the app becomes un-responsive but springs back to life & works fine

Nenad Vitas

Jun 11, 2022, 3:35:49 PM6/11/22
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
N+ worked the best for me with people running into the same issues...