connection gateway with nodes over wifi

guyc

Apr 22, 2024, 11:18:01 AMApr 22
to souliss
Hi all,

My system is built as follows: gateway: Arduino Mega with ENC28J60 Ethernet Shield.
Now I want to connect this to a 2nd system, also built with an Arduino Mega. Since I have no wired connection between the two and also no ethernet connection in the vicinity of the 2nd Arduino Mega, I want to connect this 2nd system via WiFi. Both are on the same LAN network though.
The Souliss documentation says that this is possible by connecting an esp1 to this node as wifi shield and defining it as an additional node. So the configuration would be :
node 0 gaterway
node 1 esp1
node 2 2nd arduino Mega .
 What I cannot find in the description is how to connect this esp1 to the Arduino Mega (pins?) in question.

many thanks

Dario Di Maio

Apr 22, 2024, 12:46:03 PMApr 22
to sou...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

the ESP as WiFi transceiver has quite poor performances as the communication is over serial.

A better solution is to use a small travel router like the TPLink N300 to get wireless conmection to the Mega.

Regards,
Dario.

guyc

Apr 22, 2024, 3:15:21 PMApr 22
to souliss
thanks
Does it mean I also have to install an  ENC28J60 Ethernet Shield at the second arduino mega and connect this to the rTPlink N300 ?

Dario Di Maio

Apr 22, 2024, 3:42:10 PMApr 22
to sou...@googlegroups.com
Yep right, but the ENC is poor in performances like the ESP.

If you want to go for a Mega I would suggest an ESO flashed with Souliss WiFi+Serial as Bridge for the Mega via Serial.

In this way the TCP/IP stack is not handled via Serial.

This probably could help, but you will go Serial RS232 point to point so that an external 232/485 transceiver is not required

guyc

Apr 23, 2024, 4:12:58 PMApr 23
to souliss

Dario,

This I don't understand.  What is a ESO ?

Dario Di Maio

Apr 24, 2024, 12:59:30 AMApr 24
to sou...@googlegroups.com

guyc

Apr 24, 2024, 3:01:47 AMApr 24
to souliss
This means I have to replace the arduino Mega with a ESP32 I suppose. Unfortunately I cannot do this because I have too much I/O for a ESP32.

I think I gone make it a try to do it as described in the wiki  : https://github.com/souliss/souliss/wiki/ESP8266-to-RS485. At the end the communication between the 2 modules I have will be not so much

Dario Di Maio

Apr 24, 2024, 4:51:17 AMApr 24
to sou...@googlegroups.com
Yep that what I mean