Re: play costume

Anne Godfrey

Apr 25, 2010, 1:30:42 PM4/25/10
to chris lang, sotr-...@googlegroups.com, worldj...@aol.com, Mari Lu Shore, tabitha...@yahoo.com, cagri...@gmail.com, aydanur...@gmail.com, erik...@yahoo.com, hcm...@tr.net, Yvonne Duda, j5kr...@earthlink.net, jger...@gmail.com, fiz...@hotmail.com, Cathy Silliman, clf_m...@yahoo.com, petea...@hotmail.com, maria.m...@yahoo.com, story...@gmail.com, bethfi...@hotmail.com, erik...@eu.dodea.edu, ballq...@yahoo.com, Rebecca Clarke, eilis...@hotmail.com
Chris - I bet you are not the only one.  Actually, I think I might be there myself.  How about anyone else?  Do we need to do a search for a bulk buy maybe?  Just so you know - tights or leggings are also fine.

Anne

Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:27:46 -0700
From: knit...@yahoo.com
Subject: Sorry - forgot schedule
To: sotr-...@googlegroups.com; worldj...@aol.com; marilua...@yahoo.com; tabitha...@yahoo.com; cagri...@gmail.com; aydanur...@gmail.com; lang...@msn.com; erik...@yahoo.com; hcm...@tr.net; ydud...@gmail.com; j5kr...@earthlink.net; jger...@gmail.com; knit...@yahoo.com; fiz...@hotmail.com; dougcath...@yahoo.com; clf_m...@yahoo.com; petea...@hotmail.com; maria.m...@yahoo.com; story...@gmail.com; bethfi...@hotmail.com; erik...@eu.dodea.edu; ballq...@yahoo.com; mypurp...@hotmail.com; eilis...@hotmail.com

here it is
Anne

Hello parents,

The directors, produder, and stage manager (aka your friendly neighborhood parent liaison) met this afternoon and there are now many ways in which parents can help with the production.

A couple of reminders from the director:
PLEASE check your cast lists to see what your child's part is in each scene.  Every child is assigned with a part in every scene of the show.  Even those with main parts in some scenes have smaller support/chorus roles in the other scenes.  Unless your child is six years old or under they are expected to be at all staging/choreography/music rehearsals.  Sixes and under will begin rehearsals next weekend.

The children work better when their parents are not there - so do the directors.  Since there is now a schedule of volunteers for each rehearsal, they ask that parents only come to those rehearsals for which they have volunteered to supervise.  Please drop your children at the theatre and pick them up afterwards.  All rehearsals will now run the full designated length and all rehearsals this week are for staging and choreography, with music when the musical director is available.

From the producer:
Tickets will be ready for sale next week, on the 28th.  Posters will also soon be available. Tickets are on a purchase basis only, though the TAA have offered to take reservations up to May 10th.  Reserved tickets not picked up by that date will go back on sale.

From the stage manager (me):
I have attached the volunteer schedule to this e-mail.  There are a few spots still available.  Please consider adding your name to the list and please do not hang around after you drop your children to rehearsal.  Years of experience  taught me that they work much better when left to those in charge.  thank you so much for yco-operation on this.

Since all children will be in all scenes, all children will need to have full black costume as a base.  To this will be added costume parts and props for character.  Please ignore my earlier suggestion of looking for matching top and pants in any color.  The director wants everyone in long-sleeved black top (no graphics) and long black pants. We will have more details on other costume parts later on.

Main characters will be costumed from the SOTR costume room.  Only designated people will have access to the costume room as it has recently been sorted and catalogued by SOTR members.  I am looking for two parent volunteers to help co-ordinate costumes.  If you are interested please let me know and we will meet next week to discuss details of the main characters.

I will need any parents who can sew and who would be willing to sew simple costume parts (decorated headbands, streamers for decoration etc) to let me know.

I will also need two parents willing to co-ordinate the gathering of props.  Please let me know if you are interested and we will meet next week to discuss details.

And now to the lecture - no, not really.  However, now that the first week of rehearsal is over it is clear that the kids are all very excited about the show and are working hard to learn their lines.  Although the coming weeks will involve some hard work on the part of parents, it is also a time when we should all be having some fun with this and encouraging the kids to participate fully in the rehearsals.  We need to rally around each other, support the directors (and listen when they ask us not to crowd the rehearsals) and make this show come together for our kids.  Remember - this is community theatre and every person who attends these shows will know somebody on the stage.  That is the real fun of it for them - performing for people they know.

I am away this weekend so I will not check e-mail again until Sunday.  I look forward meeting a great team of volunteers next week and setting you all to work!

Take care,
Anne