Sonoff Touch not working - Just light flashing after connected to AC

Thomas Ringler

Feb 27, 2017, 8:29:10 AM2/27/17
to SonoffUsers

Hello Community,

can someone help me on that issue: https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota/issues/115

Hello,

who is currently using a Sonoff Touch? I was able to flash the ESP successfully. At least it looks like:

Build options changed, rebuilding all
Sketch uses 464880 bytes (48%) of program storage space. Maximum is 958448 bytes.
Global variables use 45592 bytes (55%) of dynamic memory, leaving 36328 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 81920 bytes.
Uploading 469024 bytes from C:\Users\mail\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_397211/sonoff.ino.bin to flash at 0x00000000
................................................................................ [ 17% ]
................................................................................ [ 34% ]
................................................................................ [ 52% ]
................................................................................ [ 69% ]
................................................................................ [ 87% ]
...........................................................                      [ 100% ]

If I connect the ESP to AC my ceiling light is just flashing with a delay of I guess 1 second. The ESP is not connecting to my WiFi. It looks like the firmware is not working at all. By the way if I disconnect the ESP from the Sonoff Touch it keeps flashing.

I tried it with 2 different Sonoff Touch and 2 different ESPs to check if a Touch part or a ESP is broken. Same behaviour.

I tried the flashing procedure many times even with ESP8285 platform or ESP8266 with DOUT option activated.
Same behaviour.

By the way, my Sonoff Switches working like a charm :+1:

Who can help me to solve this issue? Do I forget to set an option?

David Lang

Feb 27, 2017, 4:11:15 PM2/27/17
to Thomas Ringler, SonoffUsers
if you connect the device up to a serial port again (disconnected from AC is
probably best) and open a terminal program connected to it, does anything
interesting show up?

I have a touch that I've flashed, but my house doesn't have a neutral line at
any of the light switches, so I haven't tested it yet.

David Lang

Pǝtǝr FlCKlNGER

Feb 28, 2017, 8:19:12 AM2/28/17
to SonoffUsers
Thomas,

please check if your power supply board (the deeper one part) is soldered correct, especially the capacitor(s).
If there you find cold solder joints, there is a posibility, that the unreliable power supply had damaged the ESP8285. A fast flashing relay is a hint to this. But first of all re-solder the junction points and retry the module.
BTW: If the ESP iis working normally at a FTDI, it's the prove that the power supply board isn't operating normal.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sonoffusers/2OEmFQLANn8/WB7qjopcAgAJ

I own several sonoff's and I guess some of them are soldered manually oder parts of the are solderd manually.

David Lang

Feb 28, 2017, 7:59:09 PM2/28/17
to Pǝtǝr FlCKlNGER, SonoffUsers
I had a device click the relay fairly quickly after flashing a bad image to it.
I checked my image and flashed again and it had no problem.

David Lang

Thomas Ringler

Mar 1, 2017, 7:12:37 PM3/1/17
to SonoffUsers
I just connected the ESP via FTDI and it's working - I can access via the webinterface and toggle it. It is realistic that all my 3 sonoffs are crappy soldered? :-o

Pǝtǝr FlCKlNGER

Mar 2, 2017, 4:54:20 AM3/2/17
to SonoffUsers
If you can exclude mistakes while flashing the three devices, like David Lang mentioned/happened, actually it points to the assumption, that all three power supply boards are not working normal. Is it realistic? For me absolutely, because at least two of my three sonoff touch had this problem! Why "at least"? Because I installed the third one too soon at the wall before knowing of this issue and checking the soldering - I'm to lazy to check it at the moment. However, till today the third sonoff touch is working well, but it could fail sometime if there are loose parts/loose junction points.

You also can validate the supply by adding an extra capacitor (>6,3V, > 330uF) to the logic board. See attached image "second.jpeg". Then connect it to an power supply board, that probably made trouble before. If then the relay and the network connection is stable, you got it!

Yesterday, I got a fourth sonoff touch, and I was scared about the soldering. See attached "fourth.jpeg". Out of the box, there is a thin line of soldering tin between the contacts, but it doensn't connect the two. But at this board, "exceptionally" the capacitor is soldered ok.

I would appreciate an info, if something helped you/or not. And where did you buy your sonoff touch? I bought three at fablabshop.de. The last one at Ali...
Perhaps, we found an serial defect? Or not?
fourth.jpeg
second.jpeg

Thomas Ringler

Mar 3, 2017, 7:46:56 AM3/3/17
to SonoffUsers
I checked the soldering, but I can't find any mistake - I checked every room today and these are the results:

Kitchen: Relay is clicking again and agin - I cannot toggle the switch by touching.
Childroom: Relay is not clicking, but light is flickering/flashing rapidly. - I cannot toggle the switch by touching.
Livingroom: Relay is not clicking, but light is flickering/flashing rapidly. (LED bulbs) I cannot toggle the switch by touching.
Bedroom: Relay is not clicking, light is doing nothing even not flashing or flickering - I can toggle the switch by touching.

By the way I also bought my devices at fablabshop.de
5d292260-163c-4353-8f87-9efdffb90991.jpg

Thomas Ringler

Mar 3, 2017, 8:31:04 AM3/3/17
to SonoffUsers
Correction: In the Kitchen the Relay is also not clicking - Just the the light is flashing.

I also soldered the cap between GND and 3.3V - Same behaviour :(

Pǝtǝr FlCKlNGER

Mar 3, 2017, 4:36:50 PM3/3/17
to SonoffUsers
All your sonoff touch are not working normal, that sounds terrible.
But are there alle working normal at the FTDI-Adapter or an other 3.3V power supply? I guess, we only can find a solution by proceeding by "trial and error".
What makes me thought-provoking is, that I cannot see an system in that faults. Is it an EMV-problem perhaps?
Did you ping the devices? Are there responding fairly normal, or is there big jitter?
Did your devices working like expected sometime, get the behavior worse within the time, or did they work faulty out-of-the-box (after flashing)?

Actually, I have one sonoff basic, the doesn't work like expected. I flashed several times, but the relay is switching absolut randomly. Sometimes, two hours an nothing happens, an suddenly, the lights are flashing. I've changed it against anonther, an now it's fine. But this one is not "normal". I also cannot find any fault at the pcb.

Today, my first sonoff touch, mounted at the bath, was not more responsive, after working for the last 5 days. After switching the fuse, it is working again. I hope, that was the first and last time, because the WAF (womens acceptance factor) is decreasing rapidly... :-(

I'm studying the web for more users with experience with sonoffs.

Pǝtǝr FlCKlNGER

Mar 4, 2017, 10:36:49 AM3/4/17
to SonoffUsers
also a correction:

I've replaced a sonoff basic because it had switched, but the new one is also switching randomly. They are remote switched by gpio14 (as switch1) through an 2-state switch. I guess, the switch signal comes from gpio14. It seems to be very sensitive (german: hochohmig). So I connected an cap between gpio14 and ground an it works now like expected. Perhaps a resistor is the better choise to get an definite signal, but at the moment I try it with a capacitor.
I guess all gpios are very sensitive and it could worth getting focus on this.

Thomas Ringler

Mar 4, 2017, 5:46:42 PM3/4/17
to SonoffUsers
But does that explain why the ESP is not online and the status light is not blue? Keep in mind in my bedroom the statuslight is blue, but not switching at all. Where can I find GPIO14?

David Lang

Mar 5, 2017, 6:07:10 AM3/5/17
to Thomas Ringler, SonoffUsers
Just a note on this topic, if the ESP8266 did not get flashed properly, it's
default self-test is to blink all GPIOs at a 1 second interval. So if you are
getting this after you flash a device, it's very likely that it didn't actually
get flashed properly.

David Lang

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017, 'Thomas Ringler' via SonoffUsers
wrote:

> Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2017 14:46:42 -0800 (PST)
> From: 'Thomas Ringler' via SonoffUsers <sonof...@googlegroups.com>
> To: SonoffUsers <sonof...@googlegroups.com>
> Subject: Re: Sonoff Touch not working - Just light flashing after connected to
> AC

Pǝtǝr FlCKlNGER

Mar 5, 2017, 7:06:02 AM3/5/17
to SonoffUsers, thomas....@googlemail.com, da...@lang.hm
Thomas,
I guess, gpio14 is not a topic for you unless you would switch a sonoff basic with a standard wall mounted switch. I also think it isn't available at the touch version.
Like David mentioned, the reason could also be a not properly flashed image.

Ich schreibe jetzt einfach mal in deutsch weiter, um schlicht schneller voran zu kommen. Die Ergebniss will ich später für die Community in Englisch zusammenfassen.
Thomas, die beschriebenen Fehlerbilder bei Dir sind ziemlich unterschiedlich, könnten entweder unterschiedliche Ursachen, aber auch die selbe Ursache haben.
Ich bin selbst sehr daran interessiert, weil ich gerne Gewissheit haben möchte, dass die Teile auch Zuverlässig funktionieren, bevor ich noch mehr hier verbaue.
Als potentielle Fehlerquellen konnte ich bisher die schlechte Platinenqualität und hochempfindliche GPIOs ausmachen. Meinen Recherchen zufolge besteht noch die Möglichkeit, dass die Sonoff's beim Flashen mit zu wenig Strom versorgt werden und dadurch Fehler auftreten, und dass der Flash-Speicher beim Flashen selbst irgendwie nicht richtig gelöscht wird. Ich gehe immer davon aus, dass so triviale Dinge wie Empfangsprobleme auszuschließen sind.

hier (http://tech.scargill.net/itead-slampher-and-sonoff/)  schreibt ein User "canta" am 9.Februar

you have to erase flash memory!, and you are good to go

*set to Serial loader (GPIO 0 trick)
esptool.py -p erase_flash

esptool.py -> https://github.com/themadinventor/esptool/blob/master/esptool.py

Peter Scargill schrieb dort am 21.März, dass die Stromversorgung über FTDI ziemlich eng bemessen ist, ein John Blanchard hat damit Probleme. Schau Dir das vielleicht mal an?

Wenn ich es richtig verstanden habe, treten bei Dir nur Probleme mit den Touch-Versionen auf? Ist das richtig?

Hast Du die Logik-Platinen (obere Platinen) mal zum Testen mit den eigentlichen Stromversorgungseinheiten durchgetauscht, um Empfangsprobleme auszuschließen und auch zu sehen, ob sich die Platinen überall gleich verhalten?

Funktionieren die Logik-Platinen alle am FTDI-Apapter einwandfrei?

Diese Fragen zu klären wäre schon mal essentiell, um systematische Fehler auszuschließen.

Womit hast Du geflashed? Welchen FTDI-Adpapter nutzt Du?

Bisher sind auch nicht so viele Meldungen Anderer zu lesen, die darauf hindeuten, dass die Teile "unbrauchbar" sind. Daher denke ich, dass etwas Arbeits sich lohnt, um danach eine funktionierende Lösung zu haben.

viele Grüße,

Peter

Thomas Ringler

Mar 5, 2017, 3:14:40 PM3/5/17
to SonoffUsers, thomas....@googlemail.com, da...@lang.hm
Vielen Dank für deine Unterstützung :) - Ich glaube nicht, dass es ein fehlerhaft geflashtes Image ist, denn wenn ich das Board via FTDI Adapter anklemme, kann ich das Webinterface erreichen, per Webinterface anschalten/ausschalten und auch per manueller Bedienung anschalten/ausschalten.

  • Ja, ich kann bestätigen,dass wenn ich das ESP Board entferne, sich das Verhalten nicht ändert.
  • Ja, alle meine Sonoffs Basics funktionieren ohne Probleme. Es geht nur um die Touch Versionen.
  • Ja, die Logikplatinen funktionieren per FTDI ohne Probleme. (Siehe einleitender Satz)
  • Ja, ich habe alle meine 3 Einheiten mit der definitiv funktionsfähigen Logikplatine getestet. Keine Änderung des Verhaltens.

Ich hoffe ich habe jetzt keine Frage vergessen.

Ich kann dir auch gerne einen Schalter zuschicken - Vielleicht liegt es wirklich an meiner lokalen Elektroinstallation, da das Verhalten in jedem Raum anders ist.

VG, Thomas

Pǝtǝr FlCKlNGER

Mar 6, 2017, 2:26:11 PM3/6/17
to SonoffUsers, thomas....@googlemail.com, da...@lang.hm
Hallo Thomas,

das Verhalten der Sonoff Touch ist schon sehr erstaunlich, eine Logik ist für mich nicht erkennbar. Am FTDI funktionieren sie alle mit WLAN, aber eingebaut nicht mehr, oder nur teilweise. Vom logischen Standpunkt sind auch flash-Probleme auszuschließen, wenn sie ja am Adapter funktionieren, da stimme ich voll zu.

Folgenden Satz verstehe ich noch nicht:

  • Ja, ich kann bestätigen,dass wenn ich das ESP Board entferne, sich das Verhalten nicht ändert.

Mit ESP Board meinst du die Logikplatine? Wenn Du die Logikplatine von der Versorgungsplatine trennst, dann funktioniert doch nichts mehr. Was verstehe ich da falsch?

Was meinst Du damit, dass die Elektroinstallation überall unterschiedlich ist? Die Sonoff Touch werden doch nur an L und N anschlossen und schalten dann am Ausgang durch. Was dahinter geschaltet wird, sollte doch "egal" sein, solange die Leistung nicht überschritten wird (ansonsten wird Rauch aufsteigen).

Von mir aus können wir auch gerne die Tage mal telefonieren und/oder Du schickst mir mal einen der Problemkandidaten zu und ich schaue mal, wie der sich als "Besucher" bei mir verhält ;-)

Gruß,

Peter

Thomas Ringler

Mar 6, 2017, 3:40:58 PM3/6/17
to SonoffUsers, thomas....@googlemail.com, da...@lang.hm
Hi Peter,

Ja, genau so ist es - Am FTDI funktioniert es ohne Probleme.
Ja, ESP Board = Logikplatine. Ich versuche mich mal ans Wording Logikplatine/Versorgungsplatine zu halten.

Nein, tatsächlich ist wenn ich die Logikplatine von der Versorgungsplatine loslöse absolut kein Unterschied feststellbar. Mit anderen Worten: Es verhält sich so als würde das Logikboard überhaupt nicht verbunden sein. Was passiert bei dir wenn du die Versorgungsplatine ohne Logikplatine betreibst? Kannst du das testen?

Ich meine was soll denn da schalten? Auf der Versorgungsplatine ist doch keine Technik, die das verursachen sollte.

Ja, ich hätte eigtl. auch gedacht, dass das dem Schalter herzlich egal ist was angeschlossen ist, aber mein elektrotechnischer Background ist eher gleich null, so dass ich das nicht zu 100% bewerten kann.

VG, Thomas

Pǝtǝr FlCKlNGER

Mar 7, 2017, 6:16:23 AM3/7/17
to SonoffUsers, thomas....@googlemail.com, da...@lang.hm
Ok, wenn ich es jetzt richtig verstehe, dann schaltet ein Relais einer (oder mehrerer?) Vorsorgungsplatine(n) willkürlich, ohne dass überhaupt noch die Logikplatine angeschlossen ist? Wenn das so ist, dann liegt definitiv ein Fehler in der Versorgungsplatine.
Ich habe auch schon an anderer Stelle gelesen, dass vermutet wird, dass die Sonoff Teile manuell gelötet sind. Das kann ich nur unterschreiben. Und offensichtlich sind da keine allzu großen Profis am Werk. Jedenfalls gehe ich davon aus, dass bei Deiner Versorgungsplatine irgendwo noch mindestens ein Fehler liegt. Ich würde die Sachen mal vorsichtshalber alle nachlöten.
Wenn etwas willkürlich schaltet, dann entweder ein Wackelkontakt bzw. kalte Lötstelle vorliegen, oder ein Bauteil hält seinen Wert nicht ein. Jedenfalls wird offfensichtlich genau der Wert erzeugt/erreicht, um das Relais zum Umschalten zu bringen. Vor dem Relais müsste auch noch eine Verstärkerschaltung liegen, die eine gewisse Schaltschwelle (vielleicht 2,5 Volt oder sowas) in einen nutzbaren Strom verstärkt, damit das Relais auch anzieht. Davor dürfte irgendwo die Ursache liegen.
Vielleicht sind es auch miese Kondensatoren.

Wenn ich bei mir die beiden Einheiten trenne, dann passiert nichts. Der Schaltimpuls kommt ja von der Logikplatine.
BTW, ich habe gerade auch ausprobiert, wozu der vierte Kontakt zwischen den Platinen ist und kann keinen Sinn darin finden. Das Gerät funktioniert auch mit nur drei Kontakten einwandfrei (wenn es denn man funktioniert). Sie angehängtem Foto.

Auch merkwürdig ist bei meinem zuletzt eingetroffenen Modell (auf dem Foto), dass das Schalten über Netzwerk immer gut 4 Sekunden braucht. Manuell betätigt geht's sofort. Meine übrigen Sonoffs schalten mit etwas 0,5-1 Sekunden Latenz.

Also da gibts schon noch einige "interessante" Dinge...

Gruß,
Peter
3Kontakte.jpeg

Thomas Ringler

Mar 9, 2017, 5:06:38 PM3/9/17
to SonoffUsers, thomas....@googlemail.com, da...@lang.hm
Ich hab noch einen weiteren Test gemacht: Verbraucher getauscht. Siehe da: Es flackert nichts mehr. Mit einem NON-LED Verbraucher flackert es nicht mehr dafür gibts gar kein Licht mehr :)

Wenn ich also einen NON-LED Verbraucher anschließe bzw. einen Verbraucher, der weitaus mehr Watt zieht:
* Klickt das Relais
* Die Logikplatine leuchtet und lässt sich sowohl Remote als auch Manuell schalten
* Es flackert nicht, aber es gibt auch kein Licht

Die Birne selbst ist definitiv i.O. - Sie funktioniert mit dem Original Lichtschalter ohne Probleme.

Das ganze lässt sich mit allen 3 Versorgungsplatinen nachvollziehen. Fällt dir dazu eine elektrotechnische Erklärung ein?

VG, Thomas

Thomas Ringler

Mar 25, 2017, 5:10:46 PM3/25/17
to SonoffUsers, thomas....@googlemail.com, da...@lang.hm

I was able to solve the problem with Peter's help - It was just an electric fault. The switches must be connected to a neutral line. If they are connected only to a switched line and a unswitched line, which is mostly the default at "unsmart" switches they will not work. In my case I just need to bridge the neutral line to the Sonoff touch:

Foto 3.jpg

To Minh

May 18, 2017, 11:39:38 AM5/18/17
to SonoffUsers
When soldering pin, we usually use solder paste but some time we use too much, the paste residue remains, then it may short gnd and gpio14 pin, and makes it very sensitive.
Clean up all the paste after solder is a good way to avoid flicking.

Minh.