trying to flash ESP32-CAM firmware - it won't boot/run

Eric Koester

Jul 2, 2021, 11:21:57 PM7/2/21
to TasmotaUsers
I first read:
That Tasmota ESP32 page says to use ESP Flasher application (in Windows 10) to flash the Tasmota32 bin file.  So I did.

I got 2 ESP32-CAM boards from Amazon today, but have only tried to flash one of them with Tasmota, thus far.
The flash process seemed to work fine.  (see attached log from ESP Flasher).
But, when I pulled the grounding wire off of IO0, and hit the Reset button, it appeared to partially boot and then keep rebooting.  It never got to the wifi access point part of the boot process.  (see attached log of apparent rebooting)
I tried 2 different Tasmota32-webcam versions:  the current released version, tasmota32-webcam 9.5.0, and the current development version, tasmota32-webcam 9.5.2.
Both yielded the same apparent rebooting results.

Since I got 2 of these ESP32-CAM boards, I connected the 2nd one to the exact same power supply that I used for unit #1, and it booted and ran with the stock firmware in it.   (thus we know the power supply has enough current capacity to power the ESP32-CAM board)
I used the ESP Flasher program to monitor it's serial output and recorded the bootlog from a successful boot.  (attached log)
Unit #2 created a wifi access point and I connected to it with my cell phone.  The IP address of the ESP32-CAM board was 192.168.4.1.
When I called up 192.168.4.1 in my phone' web browser, I saw menu screen with buttons and sliders and a live video image from the camera at the bottom of the screen.

So, can anyone tell what is going wrong with unit #1?

Is there a way to extract the original firmware from unit #2 and try loading it into unit #1?

Thanks for any insight,
Eric

ESP32-CAM Tasmota webcam failed boot.txt
PXL_20210703_013439135 (Custom).jpg
ESP32-CAM Tasmota32 upload.txt
ESP32-CAM stock firmware normal boot.txt

Philip Knowles

Jul 3, 2021, 12:04:04 AM7/3/21
to TasmotaUsers, Eric Koester
With the ESP32 you normally don't need to ground GPIO0 to flash (and you don't keep it on while flashing anyway). You can use the button(s). Not saying that that's the issue.
If the button is connected to GPIO0 press and hold it when you power up the device and then release it. It will then be in flash mode. Then try to flash it.
If the button isn't connected to GPIO0 you will need to strap it to 0V when booting but you take the lead off once it has booted and then try to flash.
I'm presuming that you have all 4 files (partitions.bin, etc) and not just the tasmota32 bin.
When you try again can you also include the command (if using command line) or a screenshot of the config page from ESPFlasher?
Hope it works
Phil K

Jul 3, 2021, 12:46:21 AM7/3/21
to TasmotaUsers
On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 11:04 PM Philip Knowles <knowles...@gmail.com> wrote:
With the ESP32 you normally don't need to ground GPIO0 to flash (and you don't keep it on while flashing anyway). You can use the button(s). Not saying that that's the issue.
If the button is connected to GPIO0 press and hold it when you power up the device and then release it. It will then be in flash mode. Then try to flash it.

Reference the ESP32-CAM board schematic on this page:
The reset button is not connected to GPIO0.
The schematic shows its connected to pin 3 (labled CHP_PU)

If the button isn't connected to GPIO0 you will need to strap it to 0V when booting but you take the lead off once it has booted and then try to flash.
I'm presuming that you have all 4 files (partitions.bin, etc) and not just the tasmota32 bin.

I used the ESP Flasher app from inside Windows 10.  Regarding the 3 other files, the Tasmota documentation page I referenced specifically says:
  • the required flash files (not needed when using ESP_Flasher)"
Also, there's no way to load those other 3 files from ESP Flasher.

When you try again can you also include the command (if using command line) or a screenshot of the config page from ESPFlasher?

I'm loading from Windows 10 with ESP Flasher, so there's no command line.
The ESP Flasher controls are very bare bones - no config window/screen.

Hope it works
Phil K

No Joy - there were not different results, when I powered up the ESP32-CAM board with the GPIO0 pin grounded and then pulled the GPIO0 wire before I clicked the Flash ESP button.
The process behaved the same as before, with the exact same output from the serial port.
All the messages indicated a good flash (Hash of data verified, Leaving, Done, Flashing is complete)
Upon repower, same repeating text out the serial port.  (same contents as the previously shared log)

ESP32-CAM firmware flash process.JPG

Philip Knowles

Jul 3, 2021, 2:08:53 AM7/3/21
to Eric Koester, TasmotaUsers

I use this

https://www.espressif.com/sites/default/files/tools/flash_download_tool_v3.8.8_0.zip

and it’s worked every time for me.

I’ve also used

https://github.com/espressif/esptool

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On Friday, July 2, 2021 at 11:04:04 PM UTC-5 knowles...@gmail.com wrote:

With the ESP32 you normally don't need to ground GPIO0 to flash (and you don't keep it on while flashing anyway). You can use the button(s). Not saying that that's the issue.

If the button is connected to GPIO0 press and hold it when you power up the device and then release it. It will then be in flash mode. Then try to flash it.

If the button isn't connected to GPIO0 you will need to strap it to 0V when booting but you take the lead off once it has booted and then try to flash.

I'm presuming that you have all 4 files (partitions.bin, etc) and not just the tasmota32 bin.

When you try again can you also include the command (if using command line) or a screenshot of the config page from ESPFlasher?

Hope it works

Phil K

Eric Koester

Jul 3, 2021, 11:08:46 AM7/3/21
to TasmotaUsers
Thanks Greg, I'll try that ESP Download tool first.
I had not run across any mention of that software before.
I'm surprised that the ESP Download tool wasn't mentioned on the Tasmota documentation site!

Eric

Eric Koester

Jul 3, 2021, 11:31:56 AM7/3/21
to TasmotaUsers
When I watch the serial port output (with the ESP Flash application) during a successful boot of the ESP32-S module on my working ESP32-CAM board, it shows 40MHz, DIO SPI mode, 4MB (32Mbit) flash size.
I would guess those are the correct settings for flashing.

from previously attached boot log:
[20:02:48]I (31) boot: ESP-IDF v4.1-dirty 2nd stage bootloader
[20:02:48]I (31) boot: compile time 16:15:01
[20:02:48]I (31) boot: chip revision: 1
[20:02:48]I (34) boot_comm: chip revision: 1, min. bootloader chip revision: 0
[20:02:48]I (41) boot.esp32: SPI Speed      : 40MHz
[20:02:48]I (46) boot.esp32: SPI Mode       : DIO
[20:02:48]I (50) boot.esp32: SPI Flash Size : 4MB

Thus far, I'm not seeing any info appear in the DETECTED INFO box.
I have tried:
1. restarting the ESP32 DOWNLOAD tool...no change.
2. repowering the ESP32-CAM board with the GPIO0 jumper grounded...no change
3.  repowering the ESP32-CAM board with the GPIO0 jumper grounded & then pulling it off...no change

ESP32 DOWNLOAD TOOL window.JPG

Eric Koester

Jul 3, 2021, 12:16:38 PM7/3/21
to TasmotaUsers
I looked this over, and I'm following the right list of steps.
http://iot-bits.com/esp32/esp32-flash-download-tool-tutorial/

I know the USB to serial converter is working because I can see the output of the ESP32 serial port, and I am able to send it a bin file using ESP32 Flasher.

With ESP32 DOWNLOAD TOOL, I'm changing every possible variable I can think of, and there is no sign of life with the ESP32 DOWNLOAD TOOL.
For the device, I'm selecting ESP32 and Development mode.
I noted that one of the config files has "dout_40m" in the name, so I changed the SPI mode to DOUT to match....no change.
I tried running ESP32 DOWNLOAD TOOL as Adminsistrator...no change.
ESP32 DOWNLOAD TOOL window DOUT.JPG

Philip Knowles

Jul 3, 2021, 1:17:17 PM7/3/21
to Eric Koester, TasmotaUsers

You haven’t got addresses in the right hand column

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Eric Koester

Jul 3, 2021, 2:55:39 PM7/3/21
to TasmotaUsers
You haven’t got addresses in the right hand column

Yeah, I noticed that.
I think it's a symptom of the larger problem - the software is not communicating with the ESP32 chip.

Since there is no mention of software dependencies, I have to conclude that the ESP32 DOWNLOAD TOOL executable is self-contained?

When I run ESP32 DOWNLOAD TOOL, a directory is created in the C:\Users\erick\AppData\Local\Temp\ directory, which gets filled with python files.
On the screen, a command window opens and is echoing commands.
This is the first one that appears:
C:\Users\erick\AppData\Local\Temp\_MEI10~1\download_panel_info.py:191: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item BitmapFromImage. Use :class:`wx.Bitmap` instead

The ESP32 DOWNLOAD TOOL software is missing a file?

I wonder if anti-malware software like Windows Defender is stopping ESP32 DOWNLOAD TOOL from fully running?

Eric Koester

Jul 3, 2021, 3:18:41 PM7/3/21
to TasmotaUsers
I looked at a few Youtube videos and see that my local version of ESP32 DOWNLOAD TOOL isn't getting as far as a working system.
see:
I am NOT seeing all these lines in the command window.
ESP32 DOWNLOAD TOOL command window.JPG

Mine stops dead at error for download_panel_info.py:191

Maybe the latest version of ESP32 DOWNLOAD TOOL is broken, and I need to try an older version?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "TasmotaUsers" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sonoffusers/f91796cd-18e2-4d6c-9e0f-378540e6ccdfn%40googlegroups.com.

Philip Knowles

Jul 3, 2021, 4:15:58 PM7/3/21
to Eric Koester, TasmotaUsers

You have to type the addresses in by hand use the image I sent for the details.

Philip Knowles

Jul 3, 2021, 4:24:49 PM7/3/21
to Eric Koester, TasmotaUsers

I’m on v3.8.8 and it’s fine. I had problems with permissions on a couple of older versions. Might be worth ‘right clicking’ and run in Administrator Mode

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Eric Koester

Jul 5, 2021, 6:49:17 PM7/5/21
to TasmotaUsers
Oh, that's what you were trying to communicate - manually type in the addresses.

That was the key!   Thank you!
The flash process occurred and the Tasmota webcam 9.5.0 firmware went right in!