Sonoff Basic Locking Up

Weather Guy

May 15, 2022, 6:43:17 PM5/15/22
to TasmotaUsers
This is weird.

Setup has two WiFi routers in the building. Both are 2.4GHz but on different channels. Neither one broadcasts SSID. One WiFi has Internet access, the other is purely local and only used by Sonoff devices and a computer running the MQTT server.

The Sonoff Basic device in question is used to drive the coil of a definite purpose contactor (i.e. relay) which switches power to a fractional HP electric motor. The device has run for a long time with no problems, but the other day it locked up and would not respond on WiFi. Cause eventually traced to this:

When my iPhone has WiFi enabled and is connected to the WiFi router with Internet access, the Sonoff device will eventually lock up when switching the relay on and off. Manual intervention is required to recover. The iPhone does not have the password to the private WiFi router, and is not connected to it.

To make things more odd, if the electric motor is disconnected and the Sonoff Basic is only turning the relay on and off, there's no lock-up. None of the other Sonoff Basic devices I have do this, except that:

This happens with two different Sonoff devices driving the relay, so it's not confined to a single device.

Seems like it may partly be due to AC power line surges that occur when the electric motor is engaged, but why only when the iPhone WiFi is on???

Ideas, anyone?

Philip Knowles

May 16, 2022, 1:24:56 AM5/16/22
to Weather Guy, TasmotaUsers
Does you non-internet system have s NTP server? And how many devices are on the router?

Regards

Phil K

May 16, 2022, 6:42:15 AM5/16/22
to Weather Guy, TasmotaUsers

Also meant to say that iPhones are notorious for causing WiFi issues – they can latch onto a router and hang on for grim death.. Hiding SSIDs are no longer the safety feature they used to be. I would try ‘unhiding’ your internet one and see if that resolves the issue

Sent from Mail for Windows

May 17, 2022, 5:47:47 PM5/17/22
to TasmotaUsers
Thanks for the suggestions, and yes, there's an NTP server on the non-internet WiFi -- that's required (I think) so the Tasmota devices can figure out what time it is. The devices are configured with the address of the NTP server.

I will try un-hiding the SSID of both rounters to see if that helps.

Philip Knowles

May 18, 2022, 2:38:29 AM5/18/22
to Weather Guy, TasmotaUsers

How many devices are on the non-internet router?

Regards

Phil K