Zigbee dimmer modules

Justin Adie

Apr 24, 2024, 11:50:13 AMApr 24
to SonoffUsers
Hello all
Does anyone know any good quality zigbee 3 modules that fit in a uk back box and have two channel dimmers? Critical need is that they must be native zigbee 3 and not Tuya. So the Moes varieties won’t work sadly.

Thanks in advance.
Justin

Philip Knowles

Apr 25, 2024, 5:15:48 AMApr 25
to SonoffUsers, Justin Adie
I use the Moes ZM-105-M-MS. It's described as ZigBee 3 and works fine with ZigBee2MQTT (I gave up on the Tasmota ZigBee). I tend to install my devices above the JB in the ceiling as there's neutral there. I have wall and ceiling lights in the Living Room and luckily the JB at the ceiling light has the feed to the wall lights and a triple and earth to the switch. I replaced the light switch with a Schneider Lisse dual retractive switch (I buy the retractive architrave switch and take the module off to replace the modules on the two gang switch.

Apr 25, 2024, 5:58:12 AMApr 25
to Philip Knowles, SonoffUsers
Thanks Philip

I have one of these in stock so can try.  Annoyingly I only have a tsmotised sonoff zigbee bridge pro in my current location.  I recall that can be put into a mode that works with Z2M but I don’t see quite how that works!

I’ll give it a go whilst Stephan Hadinger is working on a fix for the Tuya modules that are in the wall at the moment.

cheers
Justin

Philip Knowles

Apr 25, 2024, 6:04:47 AMApr 25
to Justin Adie, SonoffUsers
The issue is trying to keep Tasmota ZigBee up to date with new devices coming on stream all the time. I have ZigBee2MQTT (plus mosquitto and openHAB) running on a reflashed Sonoff iHost

Apr 25, 2024, 7:51:36 AMApr 25
to Philip Knowles, Justin Adie, SonoffUsers
Question to Philip:
I am very happy with zigbee2mqtt for battery sensors, bulbs and plugs.
But, I have always been wary of zigbee devices that are hard to access.
e.g. if I needed to replace my zigbee dongle, I would need to re-pair all my zigbee devices.
A bit of a pain for accessible devices, but a super-pain if I have to pull stuff out of the ceiling to press the little buttons.
What are your thoughts on this?

thanks
Andrew

Justin Adie

Apr 25, 2024, 8:34:17 AMApr 25
to Andrew Russell, Philip Knowles, SonoffUsers
I’m not Philip but here’s my tuppence:  I’ve noticed that if you push a unit out of the network (rather than deleting it from the coordinator) then they go back into pairing mode.  Some units will go into pairing mode by power cycling XX times.  I’ve only got one that (a Sonoff mini) that sometimes need me to access it physically.

I’ve wondered whether backing up the zigbee profiles from the coordinator would allow the devices to be rejoined to the network automatically on restore.

Philip Knowles

Apr 26, 2024, 4:22:04 AMApr 26
to Justin Adie, Andrew Russell, SonoffUsers
I have changed co-ordinator 3 times and only re-paired once. Generally, you can backup the configuration and retain the PAN ID and network key to replace a co-ordinator with one from the same manufacturer. It doesn't always work with different manufacturers (not sure why)

As Andrew says, with some modules you can push them into pairing mode from the co-ordinator. As for things in ceilings, I've had numerous wifi devices which have failed (and had to pull them out of ceilngs). Touch wood, their ZigBee replacements are still going. I built a Sonoff ZBMINI into an appliance and drilled a small hole to give access to the pairing button...