motorcycle detect presence

Jéro

Oct 30, 2022, 12:41:55 PM10/30/22
to TasmotaUsers
Hello all,
I need some advise.
I will plug a weemos d1 mini on my motorcycle.

I would like to open my garage door when I leave
and reopen garage door when I arrive and i am nearby.
I use Home Assistant to command my garage door.

I can detect weemos power on when i leave
But I don't know what trigger i could use when I arrive
and how to force the weemos d1 to continuously try connect wifi, to retrieve information in HA.
 any idea please ?
thx

Philip Knowles

Oct 30, 2022, 2:47:14 PM10/30/22
to Jéro, TasmotaUsers

You’re probably better with a Bluetooth beacon on your motorcycle and an ESP32 in the garage which opens the door when the beacon comes into range. Or an RF433 button...

Tasmota will not like being disconnected from wifi.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Daniel Lowicki

Oct 31, 2022, 2:52:55 AM10/31/22
to Jéro, TasmotaUsers
Suggestion: WiFi connection or/and Geofence

--
Sent via cell phone.

Justin Adie

Oct 31, 2022, 10:59:45 AM10/31/22
to Daniel Lowicki, Jéro, TasmotaUsers

Yann Mengin

Oct 31, 2022, 6:42:47 PM10/31/22
to Justin Adie, Daniel Lowicki, Jéro, TasmotaUsers
You may consider using a device tracker (although I am not sure the reaction time of connection to the Wifi network will be short enough to satisfy your expectation on an operational point of view.
Cheers

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Kim Wall

Oct 31, 2022, 7:15:16 PM10/31/22
to sonof...@googlegroups.com
WifiConfig 5 so Tasmota just keeps trying to reconnect to the same AP.
(Though I'm not sure how quickly it will reconnect,)

Then you could just watch LWT to see if it's online.

If you want to get clever you could write a rule to publish something on
MQTT#Connected, but only if the uptime is greater than a minute or two,
so it only happens on reconnect, rather than power up.

Kim.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sonoffusers/CAK%2BVJV1O0J1zAS4_KLzUSPx4KwNZEkpJa9e7K1pmRSXYv-MRXQ%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sonoffusers/CAK%2BVJV1O0J1zAS4_KLzUSPx4KwNZEkpJa9e7K1pmRSXYv-MRXQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
OpenPGP_signature

Philip Knowles

Nov 1, 2022, 2:15:33 AM11/1/22
to Kim Wall, sonof...@googlegroups.com
Tasmota doesn't like being disconnected from WiFi for long periods of time. It can result in a device reset and reverting to AP mode. If the OP wants to use wi-fi it would be better just to flash an 8266 with a minimal Arduino programme which just tries to connect to the WiFi. Tasmota will try to fix itself - if it doesn't see an NTP server/MQTT it thinks there's something wrong with itself. Reliably detecting a device connecting to WiFi is also problematic and using MQTT might result in a reset...
A Bluetooth beacon powered by the bike would be a more reliable solution but, as I suggested before, an RF433 button is designed to open garage doors and the like. You can get buttons to fix on handlebars. I wouldn't want to rely on WiFi connections to automatically open a door I was driving towards.

Get Outlook for Android

Nov 1, 2022, 2:18:03 AM11/1/22
to Philip Knowles, Kim Wall, sonof...@googlegroups.com
why not use the WiFi connect state of your phone?

--
Sent via cell phone.

Philip Knowles

Nov 1, 2022, 2:19:33 AM11/1/22
to Daniel Lowicki, Kim Wall, sonof...@googlegroups.com
He wants to use it to open the door when he starts the bike too. His phone would be already connected at that point.
Nov 1, 2022, 11:40:22 AM11/1/22
to Daniel Lowicki, Philip Knowles, Kim Wall, sonof...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thanks you so much ;
I tested with success https://github.com/aderusha/MQTTCarPresence#tasmota-firmware-variant :
Backlog SO56 1; SO63 1; SO65 1; WifiConfig 5 seems appropriate
thanks @mike ellis to post this

@Justin Adie:
About "use a ground loop" : the main idea it's to reboot periodically weemos ?

AKS-Gmail-IMAP

Nov 9, 2022, 10:28:35 PM11/9/22
to sonof...@googlegroups.com
I think what is really going on here is that he wants a setup like what Batman has with the Batcave. He gets on the bike in the garage, starts the engine and heads out as the garage door opens enough. The door closes behind him. When coming back on the bike, the garage door opens automatically for him to drive in and closes behind him. I know it might sound amusing but I am serious. Any other operation mode is easily accomplished with a remote, so why be asking. It may be when explained using the Batman analogy one starts to think of other ways and components to accomplish the Batman setup.

Jéro

Nov 12, 2022, 7:49:14 AM11/12/22
to AKS-Gmail-IMAP, sonof...@googlegroups.com
busted, i am  Bruce Wayne and i upgraded my setup

Justin Adie

Nov 12, 2022, 9:13:06 AM11/12/22
to Jéro, AKS-Gmail-IMAP, SonoffUsers
A ground loop provides batman with this functionality.