Getting Started?

jim

Nov 29, 2022, 9:50:19 AM11/29/22
to sonof...@googlegroups.com
I've been using Tasmota devices on Home Assistant for some time, but am
just using them 'blind' with little understanding of what's actually
going on.

I now want to dig a bit deeper so I can understand the system a bit better.

I've 'Tasmotized' a Wemos D1 Mini, which all went OK, but I'm at a loss
as what to do with it next. There are a lot of projects out there, but I
want to start with something _really_ simple - say just 'wiggle' pins
with a meter attached.

Any suggestions, please?

Jim

Benjamin Reim

Nov 29, 2022, 9:58:59 AM11/29/22
to sonof...@googlegroups.com
I would recommend getting to know and trying commands in the console.
Work through some of the commands in the documentation. A meter is a
good idea.

AKS-Gmail-IMAP

Nov 29, 2022, 5:39:56 PM11/29/22
to TasmotaUsers

Order up some Maxim DS1820 addressable temperature sensors. Wire them up using the three wire method. These are excellent for starting out. You will also be getting into using Tasmota Rules as with anything you will be trying out. For example your rule might publish the reading only after a set temperature change and/or flash the Mini’s LED.

Another project is to find a selenium photoresistor for sensing light. Make sure you pay nothing or next to nothing for it because it will be a very poor light intensity sensor. Dig one out of some junked dawn to dusk exterior lighting fixture. For this device you will be using the single AD pin to read the voltage divided between the photoresistor and a resistor you will need to select. Make sure you supply the divider circuit from the 3.3 volt pin if the AD pin would be fried by seeing 5 volts. You will also be getting into Tasmota Rules to convert the AD reading to a logical scale value that you then publish.

An ultrasonic sensor makes an interesting project but its performance is terrible in any open condition other than a confined controlled setting.

jim

Dec 2, 2022, 12:47:33 PM12/2/22
to sonof...@googlegroups.com
On 29/11/2022 22:39, AKS-Gmail-IMAP wrote:
> Order up some Maxim DS1820 addressable temperature sensors. Wire them up
> using the three wire method. These are excellent for starting out. You
> will also be getting into using Tasmota Rules as with anything you will
> be trying out. For example your rule might publish the reading only
> after a set temperature change and/or flash the Mini’s LED.
>
> Another project is to find a selenium photoresistor for sensing light.
> Make sure you pay nothing or next to nothing for it because it will be a
> very poor light intensity sensor. Dig one out of some junked dawn to
> dusk exterior lighting fixture. For this device you will be using the
> single AD pin to read the voltage divided between the photoresistor and
> a resistor you will need to select. Make sure you supply the divider
> circuit from the 3.3 volt pin if the AD pin would be fried by seeing 5
> volts. You will also be getting into Tasmota Rules to convert the AD
> reading to a logical scale value that you then publish.
>
> An ultrasonic sensor makes an interesting project but its performance is
> terrible in any open condition other than a confined controlled setting.
>

>> On Nov 29, 2022, at 8:58 AM, Benjamin Reim <benjam...@t-online.de
>> <mailto:benjam...@t-online.de>> wrote:
>>
>> I would recommend getting to know and trying commands in the console.
>> Work through some of the commands in the documentation. A meter is a
>> good idea.
>>

>> Am 29.11.2022 um 15:50 schrieb jim:
>>> I've been using Tasmota devices on Home Assistant for some time, but
>>> am just using them 'blind' with little understanding of what's
>>> actually going on.
>>>
>>> I now want to dig a bit deeper so I can understand the system a bit
>>> better.
>>>
>>> I've 'Tasmotized' a Wemos D1 Mini, which all went OK, but I'm at a
>>> loss as what to do with it next. There are a lot of projects out
>>> there, but I want to start with something _really_ simple - say just
>>> 'wiggle' pins with a meter attached.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions, please?
>>>
>>> Jim

Many thanks for this reply (and a previous reply by another poster). It
looks like I've got enough to get started. I've put off getting up to
speed with MQTT 'till now, but now I need to 'grasp the nettle'!

Billy Jack Newman

Dec 2, 2022, 12:52:23 PM12/2/22
to jim, sonof...@googlegroups.com

I use the ds18b20’s with a esp8266 flashed with Tasmota,

In union with node red,

I control my fermenters (beer making)

It works great. Jim you will learn something new and then want to learn something else new after this its verry addicting! Fun, Frustrating at times, but Soooo worth the effort!

Sent from Mail for Windows

Billy Jack Newman

Dec 2, 2022, 12:54:04 PM12/2/22
to jim, sonof...@googlegroups.com

Just to point out you could install electric ball vales in the lines feeding your outside hose spigot’s and you can turn off the water supply to them using Tasmota so you don’t have to insulate the spigots.

One of the things a lot of people don’t think about when the talk about home automation.

Cheers

Sent from Mail for Windows