Now I have lots of MQTT Devices ... what should I use to automate them ?

Jon Russell

Jun 10, 2019, 1:56:11 PM6/10/19
to SonoffUsers
Hi.

So, I now have quite a few Sonoff devices, plus some home brew ESPs all running Tasmota.
Currently I am using NodeRed to control them all and automate them.
But its not particularly user friendly (wife friendly).

Is there a simple app / server with a web interface that will auto-discover all my MQTT devices, and present an easy to use interface to add timers and manually override switches, etc ?

I've looked at Tasmoadmin, but its not using MQTT, its talking directly to Tasmota. One particular thing I dont like is its IP based. My devices are all on DHCP, so TasmoAdmin keeps breaking when the IP numbers change..
Ideally I want something that auto discovers all the MQTT devices on the network ? Does such a thing exist ?

What are you all using ?

Thanks

Jon.

Philip Knowles

Jun 10, 2019, 2:04:53 PM6/10/19
to Jon Russell, SonoffUsers

I use openHAB. It doesn’t autodiscover but because it uses MQTT it doesn’t break when the IP addresses change.

It has a reasonable graphical interface and links to Google and Alexa.

The backend is techy but the front end is simple to use.

Regards

Phil K

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Michael Ingraham

Jun 10, 2019, 3:04:44 PM6/10/19
to SonoffUsers
Jon,

TasmoAdmin is great, but I didn't like that it was continually generating MQTT traffic. I now use TDM (master / development) to manage my Tasmota devices. It also auto-discovers devices (by scanning MQTT topics). It allows you to turn continual telemetry on/off (off by default). I suppose that it may will "lose" a device if it changes IP addresses after auto-discovery. But there is a refresh function to find it again easily. In any case, I would not consider either of these automation tools.

Phil already mentioned openHAB. I use this as well. openHAB configuration is not dependent on the IP address.

There are several home automation hubs to choose from - Home Assistant, Domoticz, ioBroker, ...

You can also achieve a great deal of automation using Tasmota's Timers and rules.

Regards.

Mike

Cory Barrick

Jun 10, 2019, 11:07:56 PM6/10/19
to SonoffUsers

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 1:56:11 PM UTC-4, Jon Russell wrote:

I've looked at Tasmoadmin, but its not using MQTT, its talking directly to Tasmota. One particular thing I dont like is its IP based. My devices are all on DHCP, so TasmoAdmin keeps breaking when the IP numbers change..

If you can access your router or DHCP server configurations, you can usually reserve an IP address for a specific device via association with a mac address.
There should be a listing of devices currently connected on your network. You can use that to figure out what mac address corresponds to your device.
I have two devices running tasmota and this is what I do to ensure they stay at predictable IPs.

Or you can even tell tasmota to connect using a static IP via tasmosta's configuration file...but the above solution is probably a better way to go.

As far as MQTT... I have yet to investigate that side of things.
I had Node-red and mosquito running on a server until a storm surge or thermal issues seems to have fried my HD.
Now I'm a little preoccupied with transitioning server functions to a beaglebone black.

A quick look suggests openHAB has a built-in MQTT broker. I was not aware of that.
This might be a better plan of attack than what I was going to do.
It may have better built-in support for the functions I'm trying to create.
Or....maybe using node-red & mosquito yields a higher level of control. Sometimes pre-fabricated tools force you down a path you didn't necessarily want to follow.

Philip Knowles

Jun 11, 2019, 2:15:52 AM6/11/19
to Cory Barrick, SonoffUsers

Another benefit of openHAB is ‘bindings’ for other smart devices. I have 2 TP-Link smart sockets, 6 Shelly 1s (running stock firmware but in MQTT mode), 3 reflashed Tuya devices plus 1 unable to flash, Google Home minis, Broadlink RM3 plus various Tasmotised Sonoff devices all running under openHAB with one common interface. I can tell Google to switch the TV on, openHAB switches the TP-Link socket on and tells the RM3 to turn the TV and the PVR on and turn the channel to BBC1.

I also have Bluetooth tags which stop the water heating coming on if we’re away and switch the lights on when we come home at night.

openHAB can be a PITA to write rules to start with but they’re a lot more flexible than the Tasmota ones (which have their place too)

At the end of the day ESP8266s are fairly low computing power devices and if you want to integrate devices you need to use something outside. They is a lot of different home automation software available and a micro computer such as a Raspberry Pi is available for under £50 – I’m running my system on a Beelink W10 micro computer – most have Android, iOS and Windows Phone apps to control all the devices in a fairly intuitive way. It’s worth a try.

Regards

Phil K

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Markus Mohnen

Jun 11, 2019, 3:07:57 AM6/11/19
to SonoffUsers
For me, the breakthru in the wife acceptance factor was an Echo device. My wife loves it.

Greg from Oz

Jun 11, 2019, 3:38:33 AM6/11/19
to SonoffUsers
Openhab here as well.
It took a while to get the hang of it but once installed and configured the way you want it to work it just works.

van der Straaten, Sander

Jun 12, 2019, 8:14:46 AM6/12/19
to Jon Russell, SonoffUsers
I am using Domoticz with an MQTT server. The MQTT server makes it independent of the IP address (except for the MQTT server itself because this needs a fixed IP).

Domoticz has a easy to use GUI and also an Android and Apple App. See http://www.domoticz.com/

Sander

Phil

Jun 12, 2019, 11:26:28 AM6/12/19
to SonoffUsers

Since your already using node red, have you checked out the node red dashboard controls?  you can add labels and buttons sliders dials and graphs  and access it all via a web interface.

While not an automatic process, with one flow designed for a particular tasmota device control copy and paste will ctreate a 2nd 3rd etc needing just a little property editing..

Greg from Oz

Jun 12, 2019, 8:47:40 PM6/12/19
to SonoffUsers
You can edit the /var/www/html/tasmoadmin/data/devices.csv and put in hostnames instead of ip addresses.

23,"Trickle charger",tricklecharger.localdomain,admin,,bulb_1,10

In the above example the tricklecharger is the hostname that is set in the wifi section of configuration on the sonoff device. .localdomain is my domain name
on the LAN.

Jean-Christophe

Jun 15, 2019, 4:19:09 PM6/15/19
to SonoffUsers
Same here.
Domoticz, MQTT (on the same Odroid C2) and Tasmota. IP independant, fast as hell!

Very happy :-)

Le mercredi 12 juin 2019 14:14:46 UTC+2, Sander van der Straaten a écrit :
[...]

Kajmaj

Jun 17, 2019, 8:44:12 AM6/17/19
to SonoffUsers
I use, more than one year, Homeassistant, running it oh RPi 3+.
Quite satisfied with it.

Christopher B. Petrovic

Jun 17, 2019, 9:33:31 AM6/17/19
to Kajmaj, SonoffUsers
Home Assistant, since V0,24, pretty happy with the wide range of devices it supports.