Sonoff ZbBridge Pro unable to flash

nonix

Nov 22, 2022, 10:04:29 AM11/22/22
to TasmotaUsers
Hi guys, can anyone help with flashing ESP32 in zbbridge-pro?
Here is what I've did so far:
Cable 5 pins:
+3.3V
GND
Tx
Rx
GPIO0
to CP2102

connected to PC with Wind and/or Linux (tried both)

Procedure:
While plugging the USB to PC connect GPIO0 to ground
Disconnect shortly after, the blue led is lit still

Than, try to flash using:
Win. ESP-Flasher tool
Chrome tasmota installer
on Linux I've tried esptool.py
always times out
"A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out waiting for packet header"

Any suggestion?

Thank you,
 N.

Philip Knowles

Nov 22, 2022, 11:28:05 AM11/22/22
to nonix, TasmotaUsers

Possibly not enough power from the USB to properly power the device. That’s either a Tx/Rx the wrong way round or it’s not in Flash mode error

Sent from Mail for Windows

nonix

Nov 22, 2022, 3:15:20 PM11/22/22
to TasmotaUsers
Hi, thx for the advice. I have now rewired and powering via 18650 via regulator measured voltage is more or less constant anywhere between 3.278 and 3.279V

A thought, the CHIP used in this new pro variant is ESP32-D0WD-V3 could it have some kind of protectection ? I know I am clutching at straws, but it does nothing no serial line.
I did try to swapt the Rx-Tx but I am 99% sure it is correct earlier I flashed several sonoffs using the same setup, but mostly 8266.
This one is not working.

However, the bridge does work when configered with std sonoff eWlink.

Thx,
 N.

Philip Knowles

Nov 22, 2022, 4:07:03 PM11/22/22
to nonix, TasmotaUsers

I’ve flashed ESP32-D0WDs before so that shouldn’t be the issue. I have had an issue with the voltage dropping when booting with GPIO0 grounded at it not going into Flash mode and had to do the power on/off with USB connected and do the on/off done at the device end

Erix

Nov 23, 2022, 3:43:29 AM11/23/22
to TasmotaUsers, norbert...@gmail.com
Hi Norbert,
before trying to flash it with the tools you mentioned, did you try to use esptool with "chip_id", "flash_id" and maybe "read_mac" parameters as well just to confirm everything is communicating well ?
Hope it helps a bit

Erix

Philip Knowles

Nov 23, 2022, 6:10:58 AM11/23/22
to Erix, TasmotaUsers, norbert...@gmail.com

BTW you don’t need to ground ESP32s on boot to flash them

Sent from Mail for Windows

andre...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2022, 6:27:56 AM11/23/22
to TasmotaUsers
Probably irrelevant, but I had a curious experience with an ESP32-D0WD-V3.
I tried to flash a brand new ESP32-minikit with esptool. It would not go into flash mode.
(On an  ESP32-minikit, GPIO0 is controlled by the CH9102 USB/Serial chip)
Eventually, I grounded GPIO0 myself, and it worked, and it now flashes normally, without grounding GPIO0.
I can't explain this behavior. IIRC, esptool flash_id worked, but esptool write_flash did not. That makes no sense at all.
So, all I can suggest is:
1) ensure GPIO0 is unambiguously grounded.
2) try resetting the ESP after powerup by momentarily grounding the RST pin. If you just bounce Vcc it might not reset because it could be getting power from RX and TX pins.
3) Try connecting a terminal (eg: miniterm) at 115200 baud, GPIO0 to Ground, and bounce RST. My ESP32-D0WD-V3 spits out:
rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x3 (DOWNLOAD_BOOT(UART0/UART1/SDIO_REI_REO_V2))
waiting for download

Good luck!
Andrew

Philip Knowles

Nov 23, 2022, 6:30:41 AM11/23/22
to nonix, TasmotaUsers

Sent from Mail for Windows

Nov 23, 2022, 1:23:50 PM11/23/22
to Philip Knowles, TasmotaUsers
Hi guys, thank you for your support, I am running out of options. :-(
Now I am powering the board with USB while keeping the GPIO0 on ground. IMHO, the board does enter the flash mode.
I have connected scope on the esp board transmit, while keeping the line disconnected, however the receive is connected, so the initial request does get to the esp board.
The signal observed on the scope is very faint distorted in range of 300mV around High level (3.3V). To me it look like strong pull-up on transmit line.
... any idea or direction pointer would be welcome.

Thanks a lot,
 N.

Philip Knowles

Nov 23, 2022, 1:40:22 PM11/23/22
to nonix, TasmotaUsers

What happens when you try the WebInstaller on the Tasmota web page? As I said before you don’t need to ground GPIO0 when you connect power.

nonix

Dec 3, 2022, 9:40:41 AM12/3/22
to TasmotaUsers
Hi guys, I owe you a closure / explanation. Today I was able to flash the ZBBP as expected.
The issue at the end was with my (rather old) CP2102 USB to Serial adapter, don't know why, the adapter still works great with ESP8266, however was refusing to talk to ESP32.

I have found some long forgotten adaper for ESP01 which uses CH341 UBS to Serial chip, and that worked linke a charm as expected.

So, thank you all for valuable inputs, this is now clsoed.

Thank you,
N.

Philip Knowles

Dec 4, 2022, 4:41:00 AM12/4/22
to nonix, TasmotaUsers
It might just be lack of power from the CP102 rather than anything else...