Port forwarding

Wayne Makarini

Mar 15, 2024, 7:34:43 AMMar 15
to sonobu...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Can anyone explain why I have to setup port forwarding for connections coming from cell data devices i.e. smart phones? I never have issues with the same devices connecting when they are on a wifi network, only when they are on lte.

Rgds
Wayne

Jesse Chappell

Mar 15, 2024, 8:53:53 AMMar 15
to Wayne Makarini, sonobu...@googlegroups.com
Because mobile networks have very restrictive NAT routing rules, and SonoBus does not use any form of relaying right now to get around that when peer to peer wouldn’t normally work. That also might imply that your regular routing setup also has symmetric NAT until you setup the port forward which bypasses it.

Jesse