Deep technical questions for Jesse

Tommy231

Jan 19, 2021, 7:58:25 PM1/19/21
to SonoBus Users
I am considering porting SonoBus to single-board computer such as the Raspberry Pi. I also have some unrelated technical questions about the way Sonobus uses UDP that would be easier/faster with a quick phone/zoom call.

Jesse, if you checkout my pending LinkedIn connection request to you, you can see my background and contact information (Tom Prucha, Michigan).

Here are the topics of my interest:

multicast UDP vs. conventional UDP
resending using UDP
timestamping using UDP

Jesse Chappell

Jan 19, 2021, 8:41:02 PM1/19/21
to SonoBus Users
Hey Tom,

SonoBus already builds and runs just fine on a raspberry pi.

I’ll do some quick answers here about your topics:
 - haven’t investigated how multicast UDP might help, I’ve always wondered how to go about using it, not sure if it’s appropriate for general use cases

- SonoBus theoretically does support resending packets if drops are detected, but it’s only useful if there is actually enough buffered time for that transaction to occur, and usually there isn’t.

- timestamping is not something it does right now, it’s not attempting to synchronize to any common timebase, it’s just delivering what it can with whatever buffering is set up to cover the jitter. There is some future thought about time aligning these to the worst common latency, but it’s an open question.

Contact me off-list and we can do a SonoBus chat sometime if you want to!

Jesse