Synchronising audio file playback

Solomon Douglas

Jun 16, 2021, 12:14:10 AM6/16/21
to SonoBus Users
Hello! I've just tried SonoBus for the first time, and I'm very impressed with the experience. In fact, this is the first live realtime audio platform of any type that I've tried. (Haven't yet used Jamkazam, Jamulus, Ninjam, etc. And now maybe I won't!)

I see that there's the option of playing and streaming a local audio file; this would be very useful for a backing track (e.g. Aebersold) to keep everyone in sync. But here's my question... will the system allow everyone to hear the file simultaneously (by prebuffering it so that it's not subject to the same latency as the live audio)? Or will it simply be mixed with my live sound and sent out that way.

In the latter case, it means that everyone else in the session will hear me and the backing track as being in sync, but I'll hear everyone else as being doubly late relative to the track; in the former case, it will allow us all to share the latency among us, each person hearing the backing track simultaneously but hearing all other participants as being only slightly behind.

If the audio file sync is already a feature then I look forward to experiencing it. But if it's not then consider this a feature request!

Solomon

Trent Reschny

Jun 16, 2021, 2:42:20 PM6/16/21
to Solomon Douglas, SonoBus Users
Hi Solomon - Jesse implemented a feature (that I asked for!) to deal with this exact issue.  To the right of your File Playback volume strip, you'll see a button "M.FX".  Click this and set the monitoring delay of the Aebersold track so that it 'lands' in the other person's ears at the same time.  If you have more than two people participating you might have to average out the latency, or do what I did and recalculate it with the button at the beginning of each new person's solo.  You can use this with the built in Metronome, too.  Or on any other channels from your box.  I've done this with my phone using iRealPro, and more recently with the Drum Genius app which has pretty good sounding jazz drum loops of many styles and time signatures.

Trent Reschny
306.591.5299

Solomon Douglas

Jun 16, 2021, 3:54:56 PM6/16/21
to SonoBus Users
Trent -

I'm delighted to hear about this! I'll give that a shot.

Another solution I thought of after posting my question is the following: I'm running all the inputs on my end through my DAW (because I want to mix my piano and my talking mic and add some effects), which means that I could send one mix to my earphones and a second mix to sonobus. I can load the Aebersold into a track in the DAW, and I can play it into my earphone mix at a delay as compared to how I'm sending it to sonobus, so that I'm hearing it at the same time as the remote players. But cool, if sonobus can do it internally that's even better. :)

Solomon

Solomon Douglas

Jun 16, 2021, 4:25:02 PM6/16/21
to SonoBus Users
I'm not seeing the M.FX button... is that because I'm the only user in my room? Will it appear when others join?

Also, I see that sonobus has a built-in metronome... can it, similarly, be given a delay so that all users hear it simultaneously?

Robert Hall

Jul 28, 2021, 1:37:54 PM7/28/21
to SonoBus Users
Using SonoBus 1.4.6 on a Mac, I see the M.FX buttons in the region that appears when I click the INPUT MIXER button at the top center of the SonoBus window. They are available even when I am not connected to a session.