Where do the headphones plug in?

Sean McEvenue

Apr 14, 2024, 5:11:26 PMApr 14
to SonoBus Users
Hey everyone, I am a Sonobus user and a new member in this group.

I use a Xenyx usb mixer as my interface. When I am active in Sonobus, I have to plug my headphones into my iMac to hear the mix of my music partners. If I reassign my headphones to the mixer and plug my headphones into it, I hear only my own voice and guitar.

When my brother uses a Mackie ProFX6VER3 mixer in an active Sonobus session, he has to plug his headphones into the mixer in order to hear the mix from his music partners.

I would have thought that mixers 'send' but do not 'receive'. So, does anyone understand  the difference that I have described?

Thanks for the benefit of your experience and knowledge!

Sean

Jim C

Apr 15, 2024, 3:34:03 AMApr 15
to SonoBus Users
Mixers do Receive  as well as send, couple of thing to try and check:-

1) I presume you have Mixer connected via USB to iMac, make sure you have audio out selected as the USB Mixer and not windows audio out (check you hear desktop audio to the headphone 1st when plugged in to the mixer headphone socket)
2) In Sonobus go to setup (little Cog wheel within Sonobus) and on "Audio Device Type" make sure "ASIO" is selected this is the drivers that will be compatible and controlling the usb mixer
3) In "INPUT" select the usb mixer as default input device, also in "Output" select usb mixer as default output device and check that "Sample Rate is set at 48000 hz which should also match the Imac audio output sample rate too.
4) Once all that is check go in to room session with others and check they are not muted and your Monitor and Out level withing Sonobus are at least half way up

Bruce Hayward

Apr 15, 2024, 7:39:49 PMApr 15
to SonoBus Users
ASIO is for Windows, the OP is on Mac, which would use Core Audio or the interface could be Class Compliant.

His Monitor Out should not be up or he may experience feedback. But the fader at the bottom right "Out Level" does need to be up.

Normally, if not routing into and out of a DAW with SonoBus, I tell people to just assign their microphone as the Input and the headphones as the Output in Audio Setup.