Multichannel output from Logic Pro X

Oliver Lieske

Apr 29, 2021, 9:24:09 AM4/29/21
to SonoBus Users

After a few weeks of pausing I picked up Sonobus again for remote music lessons.
I'm working with Logic Pro X. The Benjaneer explains multichannel recording with Sonobus and Logic Pro X very well in this video.
It's done by using Sonobus as multichannel instrument plugin and then "popping out" multiple aux-channels which carry the separate channels.

My question is about the other end of the multichannel setup with Logic X Pro.
How can I route different tracks/busses/channels to Sonobus in multitrack mode? Is there an easier way than setting up multichannel virtual devices together with the stand-alone version of Sonobus in Mac OS ? I also saw solutions with multiple Sonobus fx-plugins in different channels, but this feels a little weird and the Sonobus setup becomes confusing then.

Jesse Chappell

Apr 30, 2021, 8:50:21 AM4/30/21
to Oliver Lieske, SonoBus Users
Unfortunately Logic Pro, like several other DAW hosts is severely lacking when it comes to its support for multi-bus INPUTS for plugins. The SB plugin itself supports them (completely usable in Reaper and Ableton, for example) but Logic only exposes a single input bus. When loaded as an instrument plugin (so you get access to the multi-output buses), you must use the Sidechain input assignable at the top right of the Logic plugin window to direct audio into SonoBus. But you can only use that one choice.

Yes, you can load multiple instances of the plugin and connect them to the same group, and you’ll want to turn on mute-all-others on the other plugins so that you only receive on the one instance.

Or you can use the standalone with multichannel aggregate devices, or you can use a different DAW host that works better for this :)

Jesse

Mike O'Connor

Jun 14, 2021, 9:21:27 AM6/14/21
to SonoBus Users
hi all,

is anybody using Sonobus on a headless VM (an el-cheapo Linode in my case)?  i'm exploring the idea of using Sonobus to bridge people in when they are having trouble connecting to a a hub-mode Jacktrip session.  but something goes kerflooey when i launch Sonobus in the Jack/dummy mode.

here's the config:
- cheapest possible Linode (Debian, 1CPU, 1gig memory, 5gig storage, 500k swap)
- Ardour for mixing/routing -- this is also where Jack gets launched in dummy mode
- Qjackctl to spy on the Jack routing
- Sonobus

here's a screenshot of the Ardour layout.  just a 6x2 channel config, nothing routed in or out.  in a real session, there would be lots more channels to handle mixing, parallel broadcast channels, mix-minus and self monitoring for players, etc.  at first i thought that was what was causing Sonobus the trouble (that generates about 75 channels of i/o when Sonobus launches).  so this one is super small.

here's what Qjackctl sees when i launch Sonobus.  note that Sonobus is idling just fine -- 2.3% of CPU over there in the TOP shell-window.

here's the puzzler.  when i route some audio in and out of Sonobus, it soaks up all the CPU.  there could be all kinds of reasons, but i've at least tried to avoid an audio loop with this config.  anybody see what i'm missing?