Accessible version of SonoBus to test

Jesse Chappell

May 26, 2021, 6:01:44 PM5/26/21
to SonoBus Users
Good news for those of you waiting for SonoBus to become accessible
for blind users with screen reader support on Mac and Windows... the
cross-platform library JUCE finally implemented support for it.

So I have a test version of SonoBus 1.4.6 available for you to try
out... I've tested it here with VoiceOver on mac, and Narrator on
Windows, but I would like more experienced users of these tools to
give it a try before I do a public release.

Get the mac version here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ml017119p7o7geq/sonobus-1.4.6-mac.dmg?dl=1
Or the windows version here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2e6quw65e7812nj/sonobus-1.4.6-win.exe?dl=1

Thanks!

Jesse

Aman Singer

May 27, 2021, 1:59:59 PM5/27/21
to Jesse Chappell, SonoBus Users
Hi Jesse,

Thanks very much for incorporating this into SonoBus, it is an astonishing program and will be useful for blind users if it can be made accessible.
I am using Windows 7 and 10 with NVDA and Jaws screen readers. I'm not sure what's happening exactly, but the accessibility, which works fairly well, seems to apply only to certain screens. For example, when I am connected to a group, I am able to tab through the screen, and am able to hear something about where I am generally. However, when I go into the settings, all I hear is "audio button", and am unable to tab around. I am also unable to other buttons. Again, when I am in the screen that initially comes up when the program opens and no group is connectable. Note that it is quite possible that the problem here is the inability to move around using the tab key, not the accessibility of the items in the dialog itself since, when I move around with the mouse/object review cursors of the screen readers, I hear about, and am able to invoke, the items on the screen. This is not the usual way of moving around, though, the usual way of doing so with a screen reader is with the tab/arrow keys, depending on the program
I'm afraid I don't have a Mac here, so can't really test with one. If I get access to one and am able to install the program, I'll let you know.
I hope that's of some use.

Aman

Jesse Chappell

May 27, 2021, 2:21:00 PM5/27/21
to Aman Singer, SonoBus Users
Have you tried Narrator on windows 10?  With regard to the settings window, using the narrator modifier (caps lock) and right/left arrow key lets me get to all the controls in the settings. The first 3, Audio, Options, Recording are activation buttons for the tab in the settings popup, pressing one of those activates that page and then navigating past the first 3 buttons will let you access the items on the page.

Another user said they had to activate narrator before any of the app would become accessible using other screen readers, but that doesn’t seem to be the case for you….

Jesse

Aman Singer

May 28, 2021, 6:19:49 AM5/28/21
to Jesse Chappell, SonoBus Users

Hi Jesse,

                I hadn’t tried Narrator on Windows 10, but I have now. I, too, am able to move around using the capslock modifier. I may say that I am able to do this with the mouse/object cursor of other screen readers as well, which makes sense. I was able to do this before and after using narrator, I don’t think starting/running it changed anything permanent on the PC or with the accessibility of SonoBus. There is something a bit odd, though. If I move to, for example, an edit field, then invoke it, then type, I am able to start moving with the normal keyboard focus movement commands, tab and shift+tab. Again, sometimes when I alt+tab away from the SonoBus window and then return to it, I am no longer able to move around with the keyboard focus commands. That is, if the tab and shift+tab movement is working, and then I alt+tab and alt+tab back, the tab and shift+tab commands no longer work. This doesn’t always happen but does happen most of the time. Is it possible that keyboard focus somehow needs to be set when one enters the window?

Thanks,

Aman