Sonobus on VPN, OpenVPN or wireguard

Aman Singer

Dec 9, 2020, 10:27:01 AM12/9/20
to SonoBus Users

Hi all,

          I know, from the user guide, that data sent between SonoBus peers is not encrypted. If I may ask, has anyone tried running that data over a VPN, whether for the encryption or for the easier connectivity? If so, which VPN was used and what did it do for latency? That is, was SonoBus still usable to work in something near to real-time?

Thanks,

Aman

Greg Johnson

Dec 9, 2020, 3:24:27 PM12/9/20
to SonoBus Users
I have used Sonobus over a VPN during remote testing support. I'm looking at this for a way to help students safely rehearse on campus. Because I am off campus, I had my VPN on and proceeded to forget out it. ;-)
I don't recommend it, but it works...and it's not low latency.  Those on campus experienced the low latency, but myself on the VPN did not. My latency went from mid to high single digits (off VPN), to well over 30 additional ms (on VPN).

Aman Singer

Dec 9, 2020, 8:18:13 PM12/9/20
to Greg Johnson, SonoBus Users

Hi Greg,

                Thanks very much for the report. If I may ask, do you happen to recall what VPN protocol was being used? That is, was it OpenVPN, WireGuard, IPSec, or something else?

Thanks,

Aman

Dadgad Fmajor7add9

Mar 30, 2021, 11:20:13 AM3/30/21
to SonoBus Users
Since this seems to be the only mention of wireguard so far I'll drop this one here:

If I understood it correctly it is similar to a VPN service only with all ports open or any you choose. The public IP is located in the US (AFAIK) but could be placed elsewhere of course.

There's a talkthrough in this LUP episode https://linuxunplugged.com/398?t=1988
With a public IP from Linode they run a VM locally instead of hosting the content at Linode's VPS.

Some other wireguard details are highlighted as a better-as-usual-VPN solution. I'm not able to tell if any could make a difference for Sonobus users but curious to learn about from any of you with network trafficking knowledge.