Sample rate display?

AtmanActive

May 4, 2021, 6:50:38 PM5/4/21
to SonoBus Users
Since some resampling has to happen somewhere, in particular cases, I would suggest adding sample rate information for all streams, including local opened hardware.
Yes, we can see the local sample rate in the standalone config dialog, but after that, nowhere else.
I think sample rate mismatch (and therefore a forced resampling) should be reported to end-users (at all times, why not) so that end-users can choose to act upon it or not.
As it is now (v1.4.5) it is not clear if and where is resampling happening.

Thanks!

Randy Petty

May 4, 2021, 6:55:29 PM5/4/21
to AtmanActive, SonoBus Users
I didn't know it mattered whether the various participants in a session are using the same sample rate, especially considering the variety of interfaces at work.
Randy

AtmanActive

May 4, 2021, 6:57:43 PM5/4/21
to SonoBus Users
It all depends on a use case.
Sometimes people are just jamming and the sample rate conversion is a welcome one and nothing to worry about.
Sometimes SonoBus is used in mastering where sample-accurate transport is important.

Marcin Pączkowski

May 4, 2021, 7:08:42 PM5/4/21
to SonoBus Users
Sometimes SonoBus is used in mastering where sample-accurate transport is important.
AFAIU resampling is always involved, even if the soundcards at the respective ends are running at the same rate. I don't think it's feasible to synchronize clocks over the internet and I don't think SonoBus (or any audio-over-internet solution) has the ability to be sample-accurate
However, resampling between two very close clocks is probably less intrusive than resampling 44100 <-> 48000 and similar so I tentatively agree, a SR display for participants would be nice, in "full information" display mode.

Marcin