Sonobus not connecting to users

BANANAS

May 23, 2021, 9:26:11 AM5/23/21
to SonoBus Users
Hello community,

I recently installed Sonobus and tried using it for a live-performance. However, I could not connect to any of the users who were online.

I set up a static ip, port-forwarding, disabled firewall on my router. I even tried connecting through my iPhone's data link, and none of that helped. So technically I completely bypassed my router and was still confronted with issues.

On one of the occasions while trying to set up port-forwarding, I joined public rooms to see if what I was doing was working, and I managed to connect and hear only one user in a group, but it only worked with that user, and not the rest of the group. I included a screenshot.

It would also be hard for the rest of the group to set up port-forwarding, so I need to find a solution on my end. The group was based in Canada, and one user was in Singapore, they all connected seamlessly, no issues whatsoever.

Would a VPN work? Are there solutions to take care of this issue on my end?

Would appreciate your support.

All the best,
Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 5.25.21 AM.png

Randy Petty

May 23, 2021, 10:22:41 AM5/23/21
to BANANAS, SonoBus Users
Try connecting to this test session on my phone... I may not be monitoring it so you'll just be verifying that you can connect..

Screenshot_20210523-072053.png

Randy Petty

May 23, 2021, 10:38:23 AM5/23/21
to BANANAS, SonoBus Users
Screenshot_20210523-072053.png

Randy Petty

May 23, 2021, 10:40:58 AM5/23/21
to BANANAS, SonoBus Users
Doesn't seem to be inserting my screenshot into the email thread , in any event the private session is called sonotest with a password of 1234

Jesse Chappell

May 23, 2021, 11:19:58 AM5/23/21
to BANANAS, SonoBus Users
Can you give detailed specifics about how you configured your router for port forwarding (with possible screenshots of that)? Include details about your internet service provider as well.

Things are not usually this difficult, so finding out why it is in your case is the key here….

Jesse

Harry B

May 24, 2021, 3:09:48 AM5/24/21
to SonoBus Users
Hallo,
one idea: do you have also disabled your firewall of your OS like windows 10 or other OS?
In your screenshot you are not connected to any user. But you described you have been connected only to one user in the public group.

Harry

Aluizio Neto

Jun 16, 2021, 1:38:08 PM6/16/21
to SonoBus Users
Hello all.

I am trying to organize a session with some people and at least 3 of them are having a similar issue to the one described in this thread. I tried the steps in the website (disabling firewall, setting up fixed IP and port forwarding in router/modem). No luck so far though. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? It works fine from my end (running SonoBus on Debian GNU/Linux here) but some of the musicians are having issues, all of them using macOS.

Thank you and best regards,

Aluizio

Ps.: Is it possible to subscribe to this group without having a Google account? I would rather use my personal e-mail that isn't gmail than the institutional one I'm using right now. Thanks!

Aluizio Neto

Jun 16, 2021, 7:49:00 PM6/16/21
to SonoBus Users
Is there a way I could get a more verbose output from SonoBus so I could troubleshoot the connection issues? I guess I tried everything in the book already... =)
Thanks and sorry for writing again, I'm kinda in a deadline here.

Best regards,

Alu

Jesse Chappell

Jun 17, 2021, 12:31:10 AM6/17/21
to Aluizio Neto, SonoBus Users
Unfortunately there isn’t really much more verbose info available to troubleshoot these kinds of things. Usually it’s a matter of the packets just not getting through when it is truly a NAT related issue.

When you say it works fine on your end, does that mean you can connect with everyone but there are some others who can’t connect with each other?

Since it’s all peer to peer, each combination of user endpoints can present their own issues between each other. Have you been working with them to try configuring their routers to do port forwarding? As you probably know with this kind of thing, if you don’t configure it exactly right it won’t do anything to help.

Using the
https://clients.dh2i.com/NatTest/ site to see if individuals have a NAT that is incompatible is a good first test. If they do not have a symmetric NAT but still have SonoBus connection issues, this could be due to a SonoBus bug… and in those cases disconnect/reconnect can sometimes help, but not always. It’s quite a frustrating situation really. A properly set up port forwarding is worth a try anyway.

Sorry for the late response…

Jesse

Aluizio Neto

Jun 17, 2021, 11:04:18 AM6/17/21
to Jesse Chappell, SonoBus Users
Thank you very much for your response, Jesse.

Comments follow:

On 17/06/2021 01:30, Jesse Chappell wrote:
> Unfortunately there isn’t really much more verbose info available to
> troubleshoot these kinds of things. Usually it’s a matter of the packets
> just not getting through when it is truly a NAT related issue.

It seems to be related to NAT indeed, but I'm running out of things to
try, hehe. I'll see if I can make do with them trying connecting from a
different place.

> When you say it works fine on your end, does that mean you can connect
> with everyone but there are some others who can’t connect with each other?

Tha is correct!

> Since it’s all peer to peer, each combination of user endpoints can
> present their own issues between each other. Have you been working with
> them to try configuring their routers to do port forwarding? As you
> probably know with this kind of thing, if you don’t configure it exactly
> right it won’t do anything to help.

Yes, I believe I'm doing it exactly how it is supposed to be done.
Setting a static IP in local network and setting the router to forward
the selected port to it. Also choosing this same port in SonoBus
configuration, of course. I guess it doesn't really matter what port I
use if I set the same for both configurations (SonoBus and router
forwarding), right?

> Using the
> https://clients.dh2i.com/NatTest/ <https://clients.dh2i.com/NatTest/>
> site to see if individuals have a NAT that is incompatible is a good
> first test. If they do not have a symmetric NAT but still have SonoBus
> connection issues, this could be due to a SonoBus bug… and in those
> cases disconnect/reconnect can sometimes help, but not always. It’s
> quite a frustrating situation really. A properly set up port forwarding
> is worth a try anyway.

I tried the https://clients.dh2i.com/NatTest website and those clients
having issues seem to be fine. I'm going to ask them to try to
disconnect and connect again until it works (or they give up haha). Does
SonoBus use something like hole punching?

> Sorry for the late response…

It was actually quite a quick response! =)

Thanks again,

Aluizio

--
Aluizio B. de Oliveira Neto
Professor Informática e Comunicação

Aluizio Neto

Jun 17, 2021, 11:09:26 PM6/17/21
to Jesse Chappell, SonoBus Users
It looks like it is working now. We had to try a few times but we
managed to get it going. Hope it works fine the day the performance is
scheduled to happen! =)

Cheers!