Access estimated latency from DAW with SonoBus VST

David Landon

Dec 22, 2022, 2:48:43 PM12/22/22
to SonoBus Users
Hello there,

I was wondering if it's possible to retrieve estimated round-trip and one way latencies from a DAW when using SonoBus as a VST.

The background info:
SonoBus, 1.5.1, 64bit, VST3
Ableton Live 11.2.5 Suite
Windows Machine
Focusrite ASIO Interface

I am in California and am performing with someone in Germany. Our one-way latency is typically in the 250 ms range. The goal is to add a tape delay after SonoBus and combine it with the network's one-way delay so that the total delay is equal to one beat.  (Ex: @ 60 bpm and one-way latency of 250ms, set tape delay to 750ms. Total latency would equal 1 beat).

Using Ableton's link feature, it is easy enough to synchronize start and stop on each DAW. If I could access the one way estimated latency using a max for live device, I could subtract that from the millisecond duration of a single beat, use that number to set a tape delay, and then we could manage our delay that way.

I realize that I could manually look and type the estimated latency in, but it be pretty helpful for long performances if it automatically updated the delay every minute or so. That's the theory, at least. If anyone has any other solutions to this type of delayed performance, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Best regards,
David Landon