Problem with dropouts when adding a third group member

Jim Amsden

Dec 23, 2020, 2:42:47 PM12/23/20
to SonoBus Users
We have three members in our group: bass, guitar and keys, and we're all doing vocals. Let's call these group members 1, 2 and 3.

1 and 2 are on AT&T fiber, 3 is on Spectrum cable.

Combinations 1&2, 1&2 and 2&3 all work great. Latency is fine, audio dropouts are easily tolerable.

However, combination 1&2&3 does not work. As soon as 1 is added 2&3 get terrible resent and dropped packets from 1. Latency with 1 gets higher and dropouts make the session unusable. 2&3 work still work fine while this is happening.

1 is receiving ok from 2&3, but 2&3 are both getting a lot of dropped packets from 1 when there are three members in the session, but not when there's only 2.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Jim Amsden

Dec 23, 2020, 2:46:09 PM12/23/20
to SonoBus Users
Should have said: Combinations 1&2, 1&3 and 2&3 all work great.

Marcin Pączkowski

Dec 23, 2020, 3:03:27 PM12/23/20
to SonoBus Users
This might be a limitation in upload speed on "1". I'd try lowering the sending audio quality (bitrate) on that node.
I've also seen problems that seemed to have occurred because of CPU load (which somewhat varies depending on how many people are connected). Not sure how likely this is the case here, but increasing audio buffer size (on "1") would be another thing to try.

Marcin

Jesse Chappell

Dec 23, 2020, 4:23:00 PM12/23/20
to SonoBus Users
To best help I’ll need to know the hardware setups for each (especially 1), and what SonoBus audio options are being used.

Jesse

Randy Petty

Dec 23, 2020, 6:10:38 PM12/23/20
to SonoBus Users
My money is on other people in the home streaming youtube, netflix etc.  One of our members, the one with the fastest fiber internet plan, has the most problems and generally he has to ask the rest of his family to do something light weight or be off the internet during our 90 minute weekly jam.
I have a Centurylink DSL line of about 38 up, 5 down and very few problems.

Jim Amsden

Dec 23, 2020, 7:25:43 PM12/23/20
to SonoBus Users
User #1 is
2015 MacBook Pro, Catalina 10.15.7
2x Scarlett 18i20 2nd gen extended through ADAT
AT&T fiber optic, but his home network is complex, with a Cisco router
SonoBus standalone

I'm User #2, 2017 MacBook Pro, Big Sur 11.1
Clarett 8Pre USB extended through ADAT with Saffire Pro 40.
Sonobus standalone, but using Loopback to create a virtual device to integrate the Clarett inputs, Logic Pro X and VLC.

User #3 I think is on Mojave, using an older MOTU interface, using SonoBus through MainStage plugin.

We're all using sample rate 48kHz, audio buffer size: 128, and jitter buffer mode Initial Auto, but other settings produced similar results.

Jim Amsden

Dec 26, 2020, 4:30:38 PM12/26/20
to SonoBus Users
I think we've narrowed it done to user #1 has an issue with AT&T fibre and either his modem or the router he's using. We think the limited bandwidth causes audio dropouts when he hast to send his packets to two or more other group members.

I tried SonoBus with three other users and there was no problem.

Randy Petty

Dec 26, 2020, 5:33:48 PM12/26/20
to Jim Amsden, SonoBus Users
Earlier version of a router that can't handle the bandwidth?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SonoBus Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sonobus-users/defec32a-d690-4887-9d42-5547a82b407cn%40googlegroups.com.