A Sonobus server approach

Peter C

Apr 6, 2021, 3:57:44 PM4/6/21
to SonoBus Users
The newly added local monitoring delay feature does help to jam with the others who's signals arrived a little bit late.  I pushed the envelope in hoping to mimic the Jamulus client-server approach to make all members hearing the same playback and hopefully at the same time. This is what I'd done:

I setup another computer with the USB interface.  Call this machine SERVER.  I put a patch cord from the output of the interface back into the channel 1 input of the interface.  (Surprisingly I did not get any feedback).  This SERVER can hear all the other members signals. All the members (clients) enable SOLO on this SERVER channel so they effectively only hear the group playback including their own sound sent from SERVER but not their own local signal or others separately.   This approach works for me to simulate a server for the group.

I am thinking if this can be done with my poor-man approach then would it be just as easy to create a routing in the source code to allow the looping of received sound to go back out as a feed?

Will Jesse give it a thought or tell me the flaws that I am creating?

Peter

Jesse Chappell

Apr 6, 2021, 4:21:23 PM4/6/21
to Peter C, SonoBus Users
Yes, doing this in software is already secretly possible... it's
actually the organization and user interface to make it *usable* among
all the other possibilities that is yet to be done. I have several
plans that involve being able to route audio through one of the nodes
as a "server", and even be able to to remote controllable mixing (like
jamulus's server)... mostly it's a usability design challenge.

Jesse

Kirke Godfrey

Apr 7, 2021, 6:45:29 PM4/7/21
to SonoBus Users
If ya into online Jamming… give ENDLESSS a look. iOS and Desktop

Daniel Zimmermann

Apr 8, 2021, 6:15:12 PM4/8/21
to Kirke Godfrey, SonoBus Users
Thanks for the Tip! Did not know this one.
There are several similar Looping apps, but all cannot achieve what Jesse did: realtime live together. Different genre here:-)
If your Network takes more than 50ms, Loopers etc are probably more fun.
Daniel