Remote Audio Muted?

Mark Congleton

Jun 7, 2021, 12:09:20 PM6/7/21
to SonoBus Users
Newbie here, just getting set up. We're looking at using SonoBus for linking two remote studios together for recording voiceover, voice tracking, etc. for radio production. We've been using Cleanfeed but are experiencing some latency issues and digital "farting", and hoping that SonoBus will help us improve the quality or our connection. 1

Here's the issue we're having:

Our setups at both locations are identical, the remote studio can hear me, but on my end I get an error message saying the remote end is muted. Nothing on his end is muted, his meters respond to audio input, yet there's no audio coming from his studio. Suggestions?

Mark Congleton

Jun 7, 2021, 12:59:10 PM6/7/21
to SonoBus Users
Also - both ends are showing audio on the meters.

dan mc

Oct 8, 2021, 11:01:37 PM10/8/21
to SonoBus Users
it looks like the "Other side is muted" message is also displayed when SonoBus just loses contact with a remote instance. so it may indicate a network problem. could there be a different message for "missing" remotes?

and... 1st post here. just blown away by SonoBus. very well done all around. big thanks Sonosaurus & co! direct connect is a real gift for folks with non-web rigs. (d.c. recents pls?)

dan mc

Oct 10, 2021, 1:46:59 PM10/10/21
to SonoBus Users
just noticed that i get the "Other side is muted" message when i use the macos specific "macname.local:port" host address format. it appears in a new, inactive connection shown in the ui. only option is to remove the connection. connections to the equivalent "ipaddress:port" work. a clue perhaps?

dan mc

Oct 11, 2021, 1:12:49 PM10/11/21
to SonoBus Users
also see "muted" when connecting to a remote that has two ethernet interfaces. it seems to make the connection, but just indicates "muted". the intended remote does not show a connection. this kind of makes sense, as i imagine SonoBus only listens for udp traffic on the primary ifx. but the connection seeming to succeed and "muted" are misleading imho.