Barbershop singing techniques and spoke and hub networking

Eric Stephens

Jan 19, 2021, 6:52:32 PM1/19/21
to SonoBus Users
After some frustrating attempts trying to just setup JackTrip, we were thrilled to find SonoBus and it's ease to configure and be able to do a multitrack recording.

We are exploring rehearsing and coaching over SonoBus with a mixture of Mac, iOS, PC, and Pi rigs.  I'd be interested in learning from others who have gotten farther down the road.

We are still working on getting everyone networked with cables, using the fastest audio drivers, and decent headsets.

Is there a way to hook up SonoBus with a central server to like app.jacktrip.org uses?  This may help us get the lowest overall latency.

Tom Holden

Jan 19, 2021, 10:33:54 PM1/19/21
to Eric Stephens, SonoBus Users
I don't know JackTrip but am into Jamulus with a sidebar interest in SonoBus because a couple of members in my barbershop chorus (small) only have tablets (one still has a Windows Vista laptop!). SB does not rely on nor can it have a central streaming server; it is a peer-to-peer system in which every user's app and device connects with every other user's device and app in the group. Each user could record multitrack. Jamulus is client-server meaning each user's app/device connects to the server which can do the multitrack recording of each user and provides a unique stereo mix back to each user who controls their own mix. The latencies experienced by each user is very dependent on the Internet path between each connected device. In my locale about 100 km from the Internet backbone, the Internet path between two users on different ISP's is essentially 200 km for both SonoBus and Jamulus with a Jamulus cloud server located near the  backbone, which is where server farms want to be located. Peer-peer gains a big advantage when users are on the same ISP and effectively on the same LAN.

How many singers do you want to have on simultaneously? For each user, Sonobus requires n-1 channels of bandwidth both ways (n=number of users) while Jamulus requires only 1 both ways, regardless of n. One of your users with the narrowest bandwidth or shakiest Internet will start to have some problems when n reaches some number. At that point he would be better off if the session was on Jamulus. In my chorus, we also have rural members on DSL who get by 90% of the time on Jamulus; I wouldn't even suggest SonoBus to them other than for 1:1 coaching or duetting. The couple I'm thinking of who are on tablets are also rural and that's where I'd like to explore a SonoBus-Jamulus connection to bring them onto the live singing group. There is no Jamulus client for Android and iOS.

Tom

Marcin Pączkowski

Jan 19, 2021, 11:22:36 PM1/19/21
to Tom Holden, Eric Stephens, SonoBus Users
I echo Tom's response.
BTW I haven't tried myself, but there's work underway to get Jamulus on Android (not on iOS though):

Jesse Chappell

Jan 19, 2021, 11:30:16 PM1/19/21
to Marcin Pączkowski, Eric Stephens, SonoBus Users, Tom Holden
The other alternative is a way for SonoBus to implement a hybrid approach where one of the peers could become a hub server for other peers that don’t have good connectivity.

Julius Smith sent me that idea today, which is very cool. That way it could be both peer-to-peer or hub-server based if need be.

It’s on the todo list now!

Jesse