Ping levels escalate while loading audio files from hard drive

Rick Goddard

Jul 15, 2024, 9:28:24 AM (2 days ago) Jul 15
to SonoBus Users
A friend and I use Sonobus to have joint listening sessions using mp3 files. A recent new distraction has recently appeared (about the last two weeks) where the ping and latency levels jump from 50 to several hundred milliseconds while loading a file from an SSD. It takes ten seconds for the ping/latency drops back to normal. This is apparently just on one side of the connection. Does anyone know why accessing a file on a storage device would drop the audio quality? We've tried changing the jitter settings from auto to manual without effect. I don't think it's the Sonobus application, but something is disrupting the peer-to-peer communications. Any help is appreciated.

Jesse Chappell

Jul 15, 2024, 1:53:47 PM (2 days ago) Jul 15
to Rick Goddard, SonoBus Users
I’ll respond to you here…

Just a reminder that all audio network traffic is peer-to-peer and that the connection server is not involved (just FYI) with any kind of dropouts or routing.

It sounds like some local system disk activity might be causing the client not to keep up with the network packets, causing the auto-jitter buffer to increase. This is likely not a network issue, but instead a system scheduling and resource issue, not sure why it’s just now causing an issue, because there have been no updates to SonoBus itself… maybe an OS update has changed the behavior, what platform and OS versions are involved?

Can you define “while loading”? Is that only when loading the file and having it show the waveform of a new loaded file on the main SonoBus screen? The issue doesn’t happen when playing back the file, only at initial load time?

Manual jitter buffer should prevent it from auto-adjusting…. but if you are using auto you can always hit the jitter buffer reset button at the bottom |< (everyone involved).

Jesse