Sonobus transmission-protocol

Christiaan Roselaar

Nov 9, 2021, 1:04:59 PM11/9/21
to SonoBus Users
Hi Jesse & all.
For a time I've been using Sonobus without actually understanding how the actual transmission takes place in terms of protocol(s) used.
Am I correct when I say that:
1. all transmission takes place via UDP, no matter whether I choose "48Kbps", "24PCM" or any other mode?
2. that in all modes below 16PCM a codec is involved at both end of the line, taking care of (de-)compression and (forward)error-correction?
3. A path set-up through Sonobus via 16PCM and 100msec jitter-buffer will provide the same transmission-quality (in terms of drop-outs, cracks) as a 16bit Jacktrip-connection with the same buffer-size?

Should there be any document describing these issues in relation to Sonobus, I would be more than happy if someone could provide me with a pointer.

Thanks for a *great* piece of software and regards from The Netherlands,
Christiaan

Jesse Chappell

Nov 9, 2021, 1:26:38 PM11/9/21
to Christiaan Roselaar, SonoBus Users
1) yes

2) Yes, all of that is correct, but to be honest I’m not sure how much if any FEC is going on with the opus compressed stream due to the settings that are used.

3) yes

Jesse