Anyone come up with a workable VPN (or similar solution) for CGNAT?

Richard Burrows

Apr 24, 2024, 12:04:19 PMApr 24
to SonoBus Users
Hi team - one of our band is stuck behind a TMobile 5G internet , which brings the CGNAT issue fun and games into play.

Running a local VPN client on the laptop creates a separate virtual interface, but currently Sonobus doesn't let you specify which outbound interface to use (so it uses the primary LAN network connection).

Short of running an external device to terminate the VPN (and act as a device-in-the-middle router), has anyone come up with a solution they are using reliably?

AndyMc Producer

Apr 28, 2024, 6:02:40 PMApr 28
to SonoBus Users
use proxify or similar to route to ya vpn.
You could also try chaging internet connection settings in control panel  and set the dns to route to the vpn ip. But proxify probs best.

AndyMc Producer

Apr 28, 2024, 6:05:54 PMApr 28
to SonoBus Users
Sorry I mean proxifier. But others might do it. Just set the proxy to route through ya vpn. If not try getting the tor bundle and run that then route the proxy to 127.0.0.1 but no guarantee what latency ya get that way.

Jim C

Apr 29, 2024, 3:38:44 AMApr 29
to SonoBus Users
have you tried setting your priority network connections, and setup VPN connection 1st in the priority list and see if Sonobus uses that connection first?

AndyMc Producer

Apr 29, 2024, 8:47:12 AMApr 29
to Jim C, SonoBus Users
That's a good idea Jim, only reason I didn't mention anything along those lines is everytime they wanted to use the net without the vpn
they'd have to undo and redo it every time. If they use a vpn always then yeah that would be better to hard set it to route to the vpn.
If not through a proxy software will let you just turn it on and off as and when you need to.

Jim C

Apr 29, 2024, 1:30:04 PMApr 29
to SonoBus Users
could always create a script to select vpn or local network as default from powershell, save it on desktop