issues with direct connection

Aman Singer

Dec 29, 2020, 2:57:30 PM12/29/20
to SonoBus Users

Hi all,

                I have tried to connect directly between two machines on the same network but am not getting sound at all. Both endpoints are running windows, and both connect fine when using a group on the sonobus.net server. Both are on the same network behind the same router. These are the steps I take:

1. In the settings for SonoBus, I have both machines use a specific UDP port, in this case 44100. I realize this is not necessary but want to do so because I want to be sure of the port at all times.

2.            I click “connect” then “direct”. Note that the program advertises 0.0.0.0:44100 as the connection address. I assume this means it is listening on all addresses available to the machine but am not sure. The user guide seems to say that the real listening address will be advertised, but it isn’t on either device I’m using.

3. I go to the other machine and type in the first machine’s IP address

192.168.1.2:44100

4.            Nothing seems to happen audibly, but the second machine seems to show it is connected, it certainly doesn’t show an error. The first machine does not change its screen at all.

I have also tried using the group dialog and entering 127.0.0.1:10998 as the server on the first machine and 192.168.1.2:10998 on the second machine. It does not seem to allow the connection at all, I get an error indicating that the connection server is not responding.

                Is there a way of logging what is happening, either with the connection or with the built-in server?

Thanks,

Aman

Jesse Chappell

Dec 29, 2020, 3:03:48 PM12/29/20
to Aman Singer, SonoBus Users
Regarding the 0.0.0.0 reported direct address, that is unexpected...
not sure why it is happening for you. Like I've said before, the
Direct connect feature has become a bit untested, and will generally
be hard to use, even if it was working properly for you.

As for supplying your own address and port for the standalone's
built-in connection server, you actually need to use the port 10999
for that, which I somehow forgot to mention in the documentation.
Sorry about that!

Jesse
> --
Message has been deleted