Scalability - portchannel interface

Shinohara, Satoru

Jun 19, 2024, 3:27:12 PMJun 19
to sonicp...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I am a Junior Engineer for Dell helping out in the SONiC OS project.

Recently I have been looking into the configuration of PortChannel interfaces and saw that the naming scheme allows for PortChannel0 ~ PortChannel9999 (which seems to come from sonic-utilities/config/main.py)

admin@sonic:~$ sudo config portchannel add PortChannel10000
Usage: config portchannel add [OPTIONS] <portchannel_name> Try "config portchannel add -h" for help. Error: PortChannel10000 is invalid!, name should have prefix 'PortChannel' and suffix '<0-9999>'

Are there any limitations to how many portchannels can be created outside of the naming convention? Would this be something that is platform dependent?

Thanks!
Satoru S.

Internal Use - Confidential

Gord Chen

Jun 19, 2024, 8:28:18 PMJun 19
to sonicproject
In Linux, IFNAMSIZ is defined as 16 bytes, so only 15 user-visible bytes are allowed. The name PortChannel10000 exceeds this length.

By the way, for the subport interface, there is an implementation of short names that can accept 'Eth' or 'Pch' as prefixes [sonic-sub-port-intf-hld]. FYI.

Gord Chen
Shinohara, Satoru 在 2024年6月20日 星期四凌晨3:27:12 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道: