host to docker communication

Ravi Raju

Jan 23, 2023, 6:45:49 PM1/23/23
to sonicproject
Hi,
   I am working on a project involving a process running on the host needing to communicate to redis-db container. Is there any guidelines on the communication from a host process to the container ?

I have seen this link below that talks about Docker to Host communication:

Does this same apply when the host wants to initiate communication to the Docker(containers) ?

Thanks!

Madhu Paluru

Jan 23, 2023, 7:20:36 PM1/23/23
to Ravi Raju, sonicproject
Hi Ravi,

Your process should be able to talk over a unix socket to redis-db, however you could run dbus (desktop Bus - middleware for talking to multiple processes)  inside the redis-db container, IMHO the dbus is not running part of  redis-db today!.

FYI: As you know, the dbus service is part of sonic Host services today (https://github.com/sonic-net/SONiC/blob/f2fb21858af7ae6bc6f7f96777d3f0b4e33e46cf/doc/mgmt/Docker%20to%20Host%20communication.md), all dockers can register to d-bus to communicate with the host, having said based on the your use case - you could try dbus running inside the redis-db.

Thanks,

Madhu Paluru

Director, Engineering.

+1 408-455-5653

mad...@aviznetworks.com

aviznetworks.com

linkedin.png    twitter.png    youtube.png