SONiC Upgrade to Bullseye

Saikrishna Arcot

Sep 30, 2021, 5:14:48 PM9/30/21
to sonicp...@googlegroups.com, Ying Xie, Guohan Lu

Hi everyone,

SONiC is currently based on Debian Buster. With the release of Bullseye in August, we are working on upgrading SONiC to be based on Bullseye. As part of this, the Linux kernel will also be upgraded to 5.10.46.

I have a PR open here that upgrades the base image to be based on Bullseye and the kernel to 5.10.46 with a number of patches ported. The containers remain at their current Debian version. I've verified that this at least successfully builds a virtual switch (KVM) image and a Broadcom image with some support for some platforms.

For this upgrade, please build an image for your platform, verify that it boots up, and verify that it's functional. If there is something broken, if it's something small, I may be able to fix it, but I may not be able to verify the fix as we might not have the hardware to test it. For making changes, before my PR merges, you may also base your changes off of this branch and create a PR against my branch. If my PR has already been merged, please create a PR against the master branch of the main SONiC repo(s).

Please have all necessary kernel changes ready by October 15th, so that they can be merged in into the sonic-linux-kernel for testing and integration. To see the changes to patches done already, please see this PR.

Here is a list of kernel patches that haven't been ported yet along with their patch author/committer, and need to be evaluated as to whether they need to be ported or can be dropped:

* Samuel Angeabult: driver-arista-disable-smbus-mux-for-hudson2.patch

* Wade He: driver-pca954x-i2c-mux-force-deselect-on-exit-flag.patch

* byu343: driver-hwmon-max6658-fix-write-convrate.patch

* dflynn: 0001-hwmon-lm75-add-support-for-PCT2075.patch

* Kiran Kella: Support-for-fullcone-nat.patch

Additionally, all Mellanox kernel patches still need to be ported as necessary to 5.10.

The above PR is scheduled to be merged in by October 29th. By this time, all platform module and kernel driver changes should be done.

--

Saikrishna Arcot

Liat Grozovik

Oct 1, 2021, 3:06:50 AM10/1/21
to Saikrishna Arcot, Guohan Lu, Ying Xie, sonicp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update
Mellanox/Nvidia patches are already available and PR against your branch is in progress.
It will be available next week so you can also test any of Mellanox/Nvidia platform

Liat

בברכת יום טוב,
ליאת גרוזוביק

Dennis Flynn

Oct 1, 2021, 4:03:01 PM10/1/21
to Saikrishna Arcot, sonicp...@googlegroups.com, Ying Xie, Guohan Lu
Hi,

The following patch can be dropped from Sonic based on Bullseye.

* dflynn: 0001-hwmon-lm75-add-support-for-PCT2075.patch

I verified that these changes are present in the 5.10.46 kernel.

Dennis

Saikrishna Arcot

Oct 18, 2021, 8:12:39 PM10/18/21
to sonicp...@googlegroups.com, Ying Xie, Guohan Lu

Hi all,

At this time, the sonic-linux-kernel master branch has been updated to the 5.10.46 kernel version in preparation for Bullseye. The PR to do the base image upgrade in the sonic-buildimage repo is scheduled to be merged by October 29th. By this time, all platform modules need to be merged into my private branch. I do see that there are some PRs open against my private branch; I will be reviewing them over the next few days. If there are changes that come up after October 29th, I can still review them for merging into the master branch, but note that until they are merged, the master branch might not be functional for those platforms.

--

Saikrishna Arcot