VRRP/MCLAG support

Shailesh Tyagi

Sep 18, 2021, 11:50:44 AM9/18/21
to sonicproject
Hi there —

I am struggling to find a proper documentaion on MCLAG support. I would like to setup a pair of Mellanox SN2700 in Active/standby ToR mode connected to a Multi-homed BGP connection (similar to this). Is this even possible in the current version? "config mclag" command does not work on my current image.

Thanks in advance,
Shailesh Tyagi

Danny Abukalam

Sep 18, 2021, 1:03:04 PM9/18/21
to Shailesh Tyagi, sonicproject
My understanding is that SONiC does not yet support MC-LAG. There was an attempt to merge a patchiest last year but this since appears to be reverted. I suspect the docs you have linked there are either from an image built from that patchset, or a vendor fork of SONiC.

I would also like to use an upstream image of SONiC with MC-LAG, but most SONiC users I talk to seem to be using Layer 3 failover as redundancy as opposed to bonding across switches, which is suboptimal for smaller clusters that don’t span racks in my opinion, not to mention less performant.

Shailesh Tyagi

Sep 18, 2021, 1:15:49 PM9/18/21
to sonicproject
Thanks for clarifying, Danny. I am actually surprised that such a large community can use Sonic without such a basic feature set.

Danny Abukalam

Sep 18, 2021, 1:41:26 PM9/18/21
to Shailesh Tyagi, sonicproject
I agree that MC-LAG is pretty critical if you’re doing things at Layer 2, but I suspect that most of SONiC’s users are past the scale where Layer 2 is even remotely manageable.

And at that scale they probably care a lot less about single-link failure, and can mitigate for that in other ways.

But I agree Shailesh, it’s a pretty important and missing feature. MRs welcome I guess :)

There’s still some stuff in master like high-level design documentation etc - https://github.com/Azure/SONiC/tree/master/doc/mclag

Shailesh Tyagi

Sep 18, 2021, 4:40:51 PM9/18/21
to sonicproject
Apparently SONiC.202106 roadmap shows support MC-LAG (L2) support. Is this going to happen in the near future or it's reverted as you mentioned.

Adam Yeung

Sep 18, 2021, 6:14:40 PM9/18/21
to Shailesh Tyagi, sonicproject, Praveen Elagala

This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged, protected by privacy laws, or otherwise restricted from disclosure to anyone else. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, copying, distributing, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail to the sender, delete it from your computer, and destroy any printed copy of it.

Shailesh Tyagi

Sep 18, 2021, 6:21:41 PM9/18/21
to sonicproject
Thanks for the info, Adam! Do you know a tentative release date for 202106?

Adam Yeung

Sep 18, 2021, 7:10:49 PM9/18/21
to Shailesh Tyagi, sonicproject
Hi Shailesh

The 202106 branch is already cut, it’s available for testing and additional fixes. Unlike a SW FCS or GA program, there isn’t a release date per se. I’d recommend you to check with the community modulators on the logistics.

Thanks
Adam

On Sep 18, 2021, at 3:21 PM, Shailesh Tyagi <s...@samespace.com> wrote:

Thanks for the info, Adam! Do you know a tentative release date for 202106?

Shailesh Tyagi

Sep 18, 2021, 7:19:32 PM9/18/21
to Adam Yeung, sonicproject
Will do, thanks!

Nathan Stratton

Oct 21, 2021, 1:21:08 PM10/21/21
to sonicproject
I am running 202106 and don't see iccpd running anything needed to be done to enable it?

Shailesh Tyagi

Oct 21, 2021, 1:58:20 PM10/21/21
to sonicproject
systemctl unmask iccpd
systemctl start iccpd

enable iccpd service in config_db.json for autostart after reboot.