[SONiC] Duplex mode in Dell S5248

Humza Altaf

Apr 4, 2023, 11:06:41 AM4/4/23
to sonicp...@googlegroups.com, Sonic
Hello,
I am running community SONiC (SONiC.master.207726-940e2cd9b) on Dell S5248. I am trying to change the duplex mode of port "Ethernet52" to "half" by using the following command given below:

           "ethtool -s [interface_name] duplex [half/full] autoneg [on/off] "

The above command is executed successfully but the main problem is that when I try to check the status of the port using command "ethtool [interface_name]"  ,the duplex mode does not change. There is no effect of the above command on duplex mode.

Dell5248.png

On the other hand, I also repeated the same procedure on a virtual testbed using GNS3 having SONiC vs branch "202205".  The interesting thing is that the above command changes the duplex mode from full to half and it does not create any problem.
Community 2.png
Can anyone help me with this?

--
Thanks & Warm Regards,

Humza Altaf
Network Design Engineer I
xFlow Research Inc.

Yin, Jeff

Apr 4, 2023, 6:27:09 PM4/4/23
to Humza Altaf, sonicp...@googlegroups.com, Sonic

Hi Humza,

Is there any reason why you are trying to set half-duplex mode on a QSFP28 port?

AFAIK, half-duplex mode is only supported on copper RJ45 at speeds of 10 Mbps / 100 Mbps / 1000 Mbps.

Moreover, a couple of thoughts:

  1. The underlying SAI implementation has to support the half-duplex setting on the port. I am not sure if this is supported on the Trident3.X7 SAI, though I don’t think there are any switch platforms where half-duplex support would be needed.
  2. If you plug in an external RJ45 adapter (say, to one of the SFP28 ports on the S5248 platform), SONiC needs the driver code to support the various settings like duplex mode, autonegotiation, speed, etc. I don’t think we have the framework to support this yet. Does anyone in the community know?

Thanks,

Jeff

[...]

Internal Use - Confidential