Plugin development in SONiC

Christian Svensson

Jul 18, 2021, 12:31:22 PM7/18/21
to sonicproject
Hello SONiC enthusiasts,

Given the new enhancements regarding package installation[1] I am considering developing some additional functions I would like to introduce to SONiC as plugin packages. My ideal goal is to add things like organization specific daemons and experiments as SONiC "feature" packages to allow running upstream releases with out-of-tree plugins installed.

Are there any guides or existing out-of-tree examples that I can look at for doing this, assuming it is supported?

Regards,

Andriy Kokhan

Jul 19, 2021, 7:00:57 AM7/19/21
to Christian Svensson, sonicproject
Hi Christian,

The following SONiC Application Extension PR tracker might help:

Regards,
Andriy

Christian Svensson

Jan 9, 2022, 6:05:59 AM1/9/22
to sonicproject
Hello,

I have successfully managed to integrate with the Application Extension system now and the system is quite pleasant to work with - nice job!
If anyone else is curious on how to set up an environment for building SONiC plugins feel free to have a look at https://github.com/kamelnetworks/sonic_exporter.

Yuval-Mellanox

Jan 10, 2022, 6:16:35 AM1/10/22
to sonicproject