question on configuration save ...

Armstrong Mathiyalagan

Jan 3, 2022, 1:10:30 AM1/3/22
to sonicproject
the command
"redis-cli save"
 stores the configuration at /var/lib/redis/dump.rdb

or the command

"config save -y "  stores at
/etc/sonic/config_db.json

but configurations through vtysh are not stored here.
we need to trigger
"write file" which stores configurations at
/etc/frr/frr.conf.

Having two different config files will lead to synchronization and sequencing issues.

Is there any other way to store all the configurations at single file ?

Any suggestion /solution , how is it being done will help us.

Thanks and Regards, Armstrong

Christian Svensson

Jan 3, 2022, 9:05:06 AM1/3/22
to Armstrong Mathiyalagan, sonicproject
Hello,

It is my understanding that configuring through vtysh is not meant as a way to configure SONIC. The proper way is to do the equivalent configuring through config_db, either through "sudo config ..." (https://github.com/Azure/sonic-utilities/blob/master/doc/Command-Reference.md#bgp-config-commands) or manually inserting entries to the config DB.

The only configuration file that matters for SONiC as I understand it is /etc/sonic/config_db.json.

Regards,

Mahalinga, Venkatesan

Jan 3, 2022, 10:25:07 PM1/3/22
to Christian Svensson, Armstrong Mathiyalagan, sonicp...@googlegroups.com

Hello Arms,

>> Having two different config files will lead to synchronization and sequencing issues.

Is there any other way to store all the configurations at single file ?

Yes, we can use single config file config_db.json for both native SONiC and FRR configurations, please read the below document, you can reach out to me for any questions.

We have an option now to choose ‘frr_mgmt_framework_config’ field with ‘True’ value in DEVICE_METADATA table to accept the configs based on the config-DB schema present in the below file for various BGP/route-maps configs for FRR.

https://github.com/Azure/SONiC/blob/master/doc/mgmt/SONiC_Design_Doc_Unified_FRR_Mgmt_Interface.md

Note: We don’t have the Click commands yet but there is a scoping in progress to create the commands based on Click autogen tool (https://github.com/Azure/SONiC/pull/780) based on SONiC YANGs but meanwhile we can load the FRR configs (config-DB json format) in .json file and use it (e.g config load <config file.json>”. Hope this helps.

-Venkat.